Sharing the FreeNas CIFS, adding to local drives on multiple windows 7 workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike77

Contributor
Hi, if just build my new NAS and now i'm trying to change the way the CIFS work on windows 7. The goal is to make the CIFS act as an local drive on multiple windows 7 machines. Not to be mistaken with mapping network drives and making the files available offline and adding them to library. If you would go that way it's still not possible to share the files through the windows 7 workstation.

Can anyone help me with this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You can't do that with samba. The idea of sharing a folder via CIFS with a workstation so that it can 're-share' the share to other clients makes my head hurt. Use samba as it's intended to be used. Windows groups "Network Locations" as "Network Locations" because they are on the Network.

Why are you trying to do this? I'm sure there is a better solution.

Mike77

Contributor
Why are you trying to do this? I'm sure there is a better solution.

Anodos, thank you for yor answer. But can't isn't really an option here. Otherwise my entire NAS has no use and id be better off putting a bunch of drives in my windows system....

One of the problems is that my TV (samsung led) won't communicate in the propper way with FreeNAS but does with windows. I have a lot of equipment that has this problem. And no i don't want to bother my wife with running apps through the tv. We just want to use oure remote as intended.

I understand that this is actually a Windows (library) problem, or a problem with Samsung doing its UPnP and DLNA just a little bit difrent, but i'm hoping that there is a workaround for this.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Anodos, thank you for yor answer. But can't isn't really an option here. Otherwise my entire NAS has no use and id be better off putting a bunch of drives in my windows system....

One of the problems is that my TV (samsung led) won't communicate in the propper way with FreeNAS but does with windows. I have a lot of equipment that has this problem. And no i don't want to bother my wife with running apps through the tv. We just want to use oure remote as intended.

I understand that this is actually a Windows (library) problem, or a problem with Samsung doing its UPnP and DLNA just a little bit difrent, but i'm hoping that there is a workaround for this.
Two options spring to mind:
1) map the CIFS share in windows and use the app
2) install the Plex media server plugin for freenas.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Oh, I'm sorry. I mistakenly thought you were here for actual support and not a bunch of "yes" men.

Yes, you can do that.

/sarcasm

Seriously, we tell you that you can't do what you are wanting and you don't like that answer. Sorry, we're not here to make the impossible possible. But I'm sure if you have a 5 or 6 figure dollar amount to throw around someone could recode something to do what you want.

Not everything is possible, and if the limitations of FreeNAS are too much, go to Windows. You've made ot 100% clear that you'd be better off with a bunch of drives in your Windows system, so my advice is to go back to Windows.

What's the problem? You know the answer.

Mike77

Contributor
What's the problem? You know the answer.

Thanks Cyberjock! Very helpful. Although the sarcasm remark is written before the option of recoding I believe it's probably meant as a global constant?

Sadly I don't have the answer. But maybe someone does. That's the reason why I'm asking.

@anodos, thanks for your help! Plex already works and maped the drive but without making the file avialible offline (copying them to my computer) it doesn't work. The goal is making it possible to move the files in the normal librairies in a Windows 7 system to the NAS and making this Windows 7 system believe that these files ar on that system.

So if you can't make windows believe the FreeNAS is a local drive, maybe there is another way, or maybe we can find one. I have read a couple of postes that they were thinking of running a virtualmachine and/or making a virtual disk. This didn't seem to work. My wifi router (asus rt ac68u) can make my TV believe that it's attached usb drive is a windows media librairy. So why can't FreeNas, what's the difference?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
making this Windows 7 system believe that these files ar on that system.
you could use mklink in windows to link a folder under c: to your network drive. For example see here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

I have read a couple of postes that they were thinking of running a virtualmachine and/or making a virtual disk. This didn't seem to work.
that's probably because the people making the posts are stupid. Storage shared from host appears as network drive.
My wifi router (asus rt ac68u) can make my TV believe that it's attached usb drive is a windows media librairy. So why can't FreeNas, what's the difference?
I'd say the difference is that your router is appropriately configured, and freenas server is not.

Honestly I'm very confused about what you are trying to do. It sounds like you've configured Plex wrong, but I can't be sure because I have zero familiarity with the project.

Mike77

Contributor
you could use mklink in windows to link a folder under c: to your network drive. For example see here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

Sadly that doesn't work. You can only use the /d option and then still the files need to be index, which means the have to be availible offline, i.e. copying them to my local hardrive.

Storage shared from host appears as network drive.

That's the problem. Windows won't re-share files, so even if you add them to let's say your videos library they will not apear as shared in your shared media.

I'd say the difference is that your router is appropriately configured, and freenas server is not.

Well the router came preinstallled. So I couldn't mess that up :)

Honestly I'm very confused about what you are trying to do. It sounds like you've configured Plex wrong, but I can't be sure because I have zero familiarity with the project.

Plex is working fine. The problem is that it's very slow accessing Plex through the apps on the TV. This is a problem with the TV (Samsung LED 3D). On the otherhand just changing the source on the TV is very fast, a shared Windows Media Libary is also seen as a source by the TV and you have the benefit of being able to use your remote as if it was playing on your TV. So I see two options (besides buying a new TV etc...). 1 Making Windows 7 believe that the networkdrive is a local drive and 2 making the TV think that the NAS is a Windows media Library. Sadly enough Samsung seems to have decided to do something different with it´s DLNA and UPnP. So MiniDLAN doesn't seem to work. So now I'm trying the other option.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this convoluted sharing mission you're on. Help me out with this please.

If I'm understanding you correctly you:

Have plex installed on your current desktop?
Have freenas up and running on a separate system?
Are sharing media files from your desktop to your TV via WMP DLNA function?
Are sharing other files from your desktop with other windows machines though your shared folders?

And if I understand you correctly what you are trying to accomplish is move the files to your FreeNAS and continue to share as you have been?

Have I missed anything?

Also how is the TV connected to your network?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sadly that doesn't work. You can only use the /d option and then still the files need to be index, which means the have to be availible offline, i.e. copying them to my local hardrive.

That's the problem. Windows won't re-share files, so even if you add them to let's say your videos library they will not apear as shared in your shared media.

Well the router came preinstallled. So I couldn't mess that up :)

Plex is working fine. The problem is that it's very slow accessing Plex through the apps on the TV. This is a problem with the TV (Samsung LED 3D). On the otherhand just changing the source on the TV is very fast, a shared Windows Media Libary is also seen as a source by the TV and you have the benefit of being able to use your remote as if it was playing on your TV. So I see two options (besides buying a new TV etc...). 1 Making Windows 7 believe that the networkdrive is a local drive and 2 making the TV think that the NAS is a Windows media Library. Sadly enough Samsung seems to have decided to do something different with it´s DLNA and UPnP. So MiniDLAN doesn't seem to work. So now I'm trying the other option.

Plex had dlna built in. You could install that plugin and see if it works better than mini dlna

Mike77

Contributor
Plex had dlna built in. You could install that plugin and see if it works better than mini dlna

Thanks. Plex works fine. But it's slow in the interface. This isn't a problem with Plex, but a problem with the tv. So i'm tring something different.

Mike77

Contributor
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this convoluted sharing mission you're on. Help me out with this please.

If I'm understanding you correctly you:

Have plex installed on your current desktop?
Have freenas up and running on a separate system?
Are sharing media files from your desktop to your TV via WMP DLNA function?
Are sharing other files from your desktop with other windows machines though your shared folders?

And if I understand you correctly what you are trying to accomplish is move the files to your FreeNAS and continue to share as you have been?

Have I missed anything?

Also how is the TV connected to your network?

You're correct on all of the above, except that I don't have Plex installed as a program on the desktop. Plex is installed as a plugin on the NAS (running FreeNAS).

Plex is up and running, but the interface is slow. Furthermore the goal is to be able to just use the remote and not use things like play to etc. etc.

The LAN contains a network modem connected to the outside line (cable 180Mb) and running a 1gb line to the WAN port of the router (asus ac68u). The router functions as the gateway, (wifi)router etc. etc. 2 1Gb lines go to the switch (TP link 16 port managable switch). The NAS is connected to the switch trough a two poort NIC (LAG 2x 1Gb). Two desktops the TV etc. etc. are also connected to the switch through 1Gb lines. A couple of laptops, tablets and cel phones connect to the router via ac wifi.

All computers and the NAS (running FreeNAS) can share files and are discoverd on the network, share files and stream media. I can stream media from any workstation to the TV and the TV sees al the Wmp content. Using plex a can also stream media to the TV, but the TV doesn't find plex on the network, although it does work through the plex app that I've downloaded on the TV.

Because the TV does notice the WMP's on the network, the goal is to use the desktops as throughput for the files from the NAS.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Thanks for the additional info, that clears things up a bit.

Sounds like DLNA is broken in plex and when you use the app on the TV it's using the web connection. That would explain why it's kinda slow to respond. Have you tried to delete the Plex plugin and re install it?

If that doesn't work you should still be able to map a share from freenas to your desktop and add the folder(s) from that share that contain the content you want to stream to WMP libraries.

Sounds like you're trying to make this a bit more involved than it needs to be.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
What app are you using on the tv?

That is the one that connects quickly to a Windows media library but not plex via DLNA. Correct?

pschatz100

Guru

Using plex a can also stream media to the TV, but the TV doesn't find plex on the network, although it does work through the plex app that I've downloaded on the TV.

If file sharing and the Plex App works but DLNA doesn't work, you probably have a network configuration issue. DLNA requires that your routers and bridges pass multicast packets, and many do not - by default. When you mention two 1Gb lines going to a managed switch and using a two port NIC - and I can't imagine why you would do this - it makes me wonder if the problem isn't in your network. The notion is re-enforced by your comment that you have a lot of equipment with this problem.

On my network, I have two televisions, two blurays, and two ancient WD HDTV Live+ boxes set up to play media through DLNA served from Plex installed on FreeNAS. All these devices can play the media. Generally, we use the bluray players because we like the DLNA interface - but any of the devices can used. Other computers, phones and tablets usually use their Plex app or DLNA. If we use the TV alone, then the TV remote is sufficient.

There is no call for complicated network madness to make everything work. You'll just make yourself crazy and create a big risk of losing your data. However, a detailed discussion of networking, media sharing, DLNA, etc. is beyond the scope of this forum.

Last edited:

Mike77

Contributor
Got it! Dont know why,but I've got it working. Removed all locked ip adresses, reset the router to factory default, reinstalled the freenas usb drive and now it's possible to use plex through the sourcebutton on the remote. Must say it's still very slow, but that's different problem.

Might have been the settings in freenas and a problem with the assigned ip adresses.

@depasseg : the source of the tv just connects through the software (source selection) on the tv. The app was the plex app. But thanks.

All of you thanks for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.