Sharing speeds: good numbers, help me understand tuning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheater

Explorer
Help me understand these speeds.

Setup: Computer/FN version in sig. All 1000/100/10 network, including computers.

Speeds:
Inside the tower RAIDz to single ZFS disk via rsycn ~50 MB/s
NFS: FN to Linux ~ 60 MB/s read (~35 MB/s write)
CiFS: FN to Win7 ~80-90 MB/s

No one was more suprized than me with the samba/cifs speeds! I tinkered with samba by adding this via GUI CIFS -> Aux parameters (it was a cut and past from a site talking about samba tuning). Not sure if it is in the right spot, but these speeds are good.

log level = 1 # Default is 0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
read raw = yes # Default
write raw = yes # Default
oplocks = yes # Default
max xmit = 65535 # Default
dead time = 15 # Default is 0
getwd cache = yes
lpq cache = 30
When I first set up the box, I thought the max I could expect would be ~50 MB/s given the internal RAIDz to HD copy speed. Now each layer of sharing I add, I am suprized.

Questions:
How can I tune my NFS, which I thought would faster than CiFS, to match or exceed CiFS/samba? At the moment it is setup as it was out of the box.

Number of servers for NFS: currently default of 4. Does that mean the thread is split into 4 and more would mean faster transfers? Or does that mean 4 simultaneous NFS users are able to use the service?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I am going to go live today with this FN box, thanks for all your suggestions and help.

FE

leeleatherwood

Dabbler
I too had bad performance with NFS.

Why not just use CIFS/SMB with your linux boxes?

I dont see the point in using both.

leeleatherwood

Dabbler
I get consistent 105+ MB/sec reads and writes with CIFS.

filetransfer2.png

I had to do alot of fine tuning with the send/receive buffers. Now I can both read and write with minimal drops in speed.

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT SO_RCVBUF=98304 SO_SNDBUF=98304

ProtoSD

MVP
@leeleatherwood

Can you post your hardware config? Motherboard, RAM, NIC, Drive config etc.?

leeleatherwood

Dabbler
Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard Has 4x DDR3 Slots, 2x PCIe x16 ports AND integrated Broadcom LAN.
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Very low Idle power consumption, way more than powerful enough.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 16GB Ram, good for ZFS.
IBM BR10i flashed with IT Mode firmware.
8x 2TB Hitachi 5K3000
HP NC380T PCI-E Dual Port Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter 100% Hardware based, uses Broadcom chipsets.

Both the Integrated LAN and the HP Gigabit NIC are capable of 110MB/sec sustained.

EDIT: Drives are in RAIDZ1.

fisheater

Explorer
Thanks for your posts, I'll do more reading on how to tune my CiFS/SMB for linux. I just tried again to mount my SMB on linux, and download is 12 MB/s. NFS was a steady 70 MB/s. I'll keep you up to date on any progress. Thanks for the links.

FE

Status
Not open for further replies.