Sharing Replicated dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayG30

Contributor
Hello everyone!

Using ZFS replication, I replicate data from FreeNAS A to FreeNAS B.
A and B are located in two different facilities, both using different user authentication.
I then want to present that data as READ ONLY to people at B using CIFS.
Optionally, I'd like to limit to a subset of users at location B using CIFS.

Can this be done?

I'm able to replicate the data to location B. I can create a CIFS share to that replicated dataset. If I set the CIFS share up as READ ONLY however, it appears you can't alter the permissions and it is accessible to EVERYONE. The other issue is that the dataset seems to carry the permissions from the replicated system. The user accounts being completely different between the two systems, you have user authentication issues. I can change the permissions on the dataset, which allows me to access it, but it seems that after another replication occurs the permissions are reverted.

So I'm looking to see if this is actually possible with ZFS replication or not? Alternatively could I use rsync to accomplish this?

Thanks.

JayG30

Contributor
Well, rsync seems to work without the "preserver permissions" checked. If the CIFS share at location B is not set as a read only I can alter the permissions to remove "everyone" and only allow read permission to people I want. If I set it to READ ONLY I can't do that.

Still not sure if ZFS replication will work (ie. leave the remote side permission intact).

Status
Not open for further replies.