Sharing ISCSI with multiple esxi 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno Scota

Cadet
Hello,
Well, i'm configuring my environment with multiple esxi and 1 Freenas Host to uso as a backup solution. Well, i already connected my first host (i have more 3 esxi in my cluster) and formated as VMFS-5, also, i move some VM's into share space. But when i will connect to my second host, he asks me if i want to format the space again to uso. Well, i can't do it, because i got my VM's in there. Why is it happening? and should i do?

Thank you.

Bruno Scota

Cadet
i try with another FreeNAS on another host and i didn't deploy any vm. And it works. i'm thinking is because i already did deploy a vm (and it's no jus a vm, it is a VSphere VDP). I will reconfigure my first FREENAS and i will connect and present to al esxi before to configure or deploy anything. But something don't get out of my head. in this case, if i restart my FreeNas with all configurated (all presented, vdp deployed) when i return with freenas, it will ask to format, or something, i'm thinking about it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You don't "Storage->Add Storage" to the second host. That's the path that takes you towards "format the space". You just add the iSCSI target, under "Storage Adapters," then when you see the device under "Storage Adapters->Details->Devices", go back to "Storage" and just select "Rescan All".

Bruno Scota

Cadet
jgreco, thank you for your reply, but, i did this, the second esxi did find the device and storage, but if i do "Rescan All" just nothing happens, when i go to "Add Storage" the device is detected, but it asks me to format the disk, and not to add the storage and keep the data.

Well, i did the follow thing that i think worked. Well, i move the VM from this datastore to another, and i removed the iscsi config, so i tried to conf again, and it appears that worked, now i will try with a third esxi.

Thank you, jgreco.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not clear what actually happened. Might also need to refresh the display after completion of the operation. Rebooting the host will also work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.