SOLVED Sharing directories between jails not fully functional

Status
Not open for further replies.

wags22

Explorer
I setup a freenas following this guide: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ssion-and-couchpotato-as-a-dlna-server.17165/ and included a plexmediaserver. The plugins are working, but I've run into a problem with /mnt/media/series (media is my freenas zfs volume) directory in relation to the plexmediaserver/media/series directory.

Couchpotato and Sickbeard both initially saw the /media/series directory and have the same files in their local media/series directories, but the plex media/series directory is empty as is the /mnt/media/series directory.

I'm an experienced Linux admin, but the use of the jails is confusing me a little. What I think is going on is the jails are mounting the /mnt/media to their local /media directory, but not sure why plex isn't seeing the files.

The other share used by plex media/movies is working properly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Wags

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I setup a freenas following this guide: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ssion-and-couchpotato-as-a-dlna-server.17165/ and included a plexmediaserver. The plugins are working, but I've run into a problem with /mnt/media/series (media is my freenas zfs volume) directory in relation to the plexmediaserver/media/series directory.

Couchpotato and Sickbeard both initially saw the /media/series directory and have the same files in their local media/series directories, but the plex media/series directory is empty as is the /mnt/media/series directory.

I'm an experienced Linux admin, but the use of the jails is confusing me a little. What I think is going on is the jails are mounting the /mnt/media to their local /media directory, but not sure why plex isn't seeing the files.

The other share used by plex media/movies is working properly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Wags
you can crawl the directory structure and see if the files actually exist in plex's /media directory.

if they do its likely a permission issue. plex/transmission/CP all use different users by default so your going to set permission levels accordingly. theres a permission setting in CP's web interface and the umask option in transmissions settings.json file.

your other option is to change what users the programs run as. if they're in installed in different jails, you'd need to create these users with the correct UIDs (cause jails don't share users and only see UIDs/GIDs)

wags22

Explorer
Already did the crawling, spent some time with two cygwin windows open traversing the directories/jails. At first I had thought it was a Plex issue, then discovered that it isn't that Plex isn't reading the files in the directory, there's nothing in the directory Plex is reading. As for permissions, I went with the wide open nobody:nogroup 777 setup.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
OK, then your doing something wrong when setting up your nullfs mountpoint.

wags22

Explorer
Problem solved! I shutdown all the plugins, deleted the /media/series directory in each of the affected plugins jail/storage and re-added them, then started the jails. Confirmed via command line that the files are present in all 3 jails and in the shared directory.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
glad you got it solved =]

Status
Not open for further replies.