Sharing CFSI and NFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloam

Contributor
Hi all, I would like to know if there is any problem on having the same data sharing on CFSI to my windows computeres, and on NFS to my Linux and HiDef stream (a lot faster).

Thank you!
Best regards
Soloam

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes.. did you read the warning in the manual?

Soloam

Contributor
Hello cyberjock, yes I did, I miss phrased my question. I just what NFS to HiDef strea, so that it could be faster (so I've heard), the content will be read only.

Best Regards
Soloam

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello cyberjock, yes I did, I miss phrased my question. I just what NFS to HiDef strea, so that it could be faster (so I've heard), the content will be read only.

Best Regards
Soloam

Unless you're streaming raw 4K/UHD stereo 3D at 120fps I doubt you will need the "improved speed" that NFS provides over CIFS.

Most commercial BDs are encoded at 35-40Mbps including audio, or in other words, about half of a 100Mbps line.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are doing read-only you should be fine. To be honest(and I am a linux user), you're really not going to see NFS be any faster than CIFS unless your CIFS is already bottlenecking your CPU in Windows.

In short, if you are using Windows and are happy with the performance of CIFS there's no reason to consider NFS for anything else.

Soloam

Contributor
The main problem is in my raspberry pi, that I'm using as a media server! I what to get out the max of juice that I can, because sometimes I still get some breaks when streaming hi-def content,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Any reason you don't just put a Plex Server on your FreeNAS box and call it good? Plex can transcode on the fly, etc.

Soloam

Contributor
Yes, I'm going to install plex, when I get my freenas working! :-$. Still saving the money! Better do it right at first time!

My question was just out of curiosity, so that when I get the system up and running, I have all this points sorted!

My raspberry pi is struggling to keep up with my hi-def share, I googled and fund several posts saying that NFS is a lot faster, so I made my question to plan ahead!

The problem with plex is that I will lose image quality in the trascoading, correct? Or I will not notice that?

Best regards
Soloam

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you don't set the settings to the lowest quality and bitrate you won't notice. I stream stuff to my raspberry pi via plex without a problem.

Soloam

Contributor
Thank you for your reply cyberjock.

Best regards
Soloam

Status
Not open for further replies.