Sharing, authenticate, AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiatt

Dabbler
Hi all.

I got a freenas running fine with CFIS shares, OpenVPN and owncloud. Now i want to refine the users permissions.

I got 3 dataset:

\NAS\PRO
\NAS\PERSO
\NAS\PUBLIC

i want that a user can read write on each dataset, another user on only one and another user only some subfolders.

JOHN can read/write on 3 datasets
JANE can read/write on PRO and PUBLIC but not PERSO
JIM can read/write on PRO\FOLDER\SUB1 and PRO\FOLDER\SUB3 only. Not the all dataset.

For now i got 3 CFIS shares, one for each dataset.

So i'm wondering the best way to do this. I'm not sure unix rigths can manage the Jim case with CFIS standard shares?
Maybe Active Directory? But i d'ont want another physical machine so i hope i can manage all the stuff i need on freenas jails.

Thanks for your ideas.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There is no need to use AD in this situation. Just do following:
  • Change three datasets so owned by JOHN (or admin).
  • As user "JOHN" and using Windows Explorer, navigate to \\[ip of freenas]
  • Right-click on share, click 'properties', click 'security' tab.
  • Modify permissions as needed
Configuring the permissions for JIM in PRO will be a bit more complicated. You will have to used "Advanced Security Settings" and modify inheritance as follows:
\\<freenas>\PRO (JIM - read only - this folder only)
\\<freenas>\PRO\FOLDER (JIM - read only - this folder only)
\\<freenas>\PRO\FOLDER\SUB1 (JIM - read/write - This folder, subfolders, and files)
\\<freenas>\PRO\FOLDER\SUB3 (JIM - read/write - This folder, subfolders, and files)

I believe the above will work, but I have not tried it. Technically the best way of handling this may be to define your shares based on permissions rather than what you are doing. i.e.
\\<freenas>\PRO
\\<freenas>\PERSO
\\<freenas>\PUBLIC
\\<freenas>\SUB1&3

Fiatt

Dabbler
I didn't think about the windows side permissions! That probably should work, thanks.

base the permission with shares was my first idea but if i want give access to several subfolders, i have to create many shares...

Status
Not open for further replies.