Share Your Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visseroth

Guru
Unfortunately backing up systems (Windows or otherwise) with a easy restore (like booting to the network and restoring a previous day) isn't a easy thing to setup.

But a buddy of mine has a FreeNAS server and the drives are mostly 6+ years old and starting to fail so I've been rotating them out. 1 failed, 1 was on it's way, replaced them both, 1 month later another failed and other on it's way out so I replaced them both but made the mistake of shutting down the server during a resilver to blow out the dust as I wanted to go home to eat. Put the server back in place and 2 drives didn't want to re-mount. ada7 and ada8 while ada11 was a drive that was being resilvered on a RaidZ2. So pool lost, right? Nope. Pulled the server, brought it back to my place, pulled the drives, put them in my server, mounted the pool and voila, pooling continued to resilver.
Copied the data to my server then killed his old pool, rotated old failing drives with new drives, put his server back together, created the new pool then copied the data back.
Server is now online and the pool is healthy.
Many years of data is on his server. Many pictures and non-replaceable data. As soon as I have time to figure out how to get around his double NAT issue we'll be syncing critical data back and fourth so each of us has a offsite backup of our data.

Needed a story? There you go, just did that about 2 weeks ago.

Mod note: Corrected silly spelling of a certain French exclamation to something less silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.