Share Your Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dlavigne

Has FreeNAS, ZFS, or iX hardware/support ever helped you complete a mission? Maybe ZFS helped you recover from a ransomware attack. Or maybe you've deployed iX hardware in the heart of your datacenter to handle all of your company's most important files. Or maybe you have a small FreeNAS server in a closet somewhere that just works so well you don't even remember it's there.

Give back to Open Source by sharing your story. You may even win a prize! We'll be picking stories to showcase based on creativity, technical merit and sincerity.

See https://www.ixsystems.com/missioncomplete/ for details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Any of you forum regulars share your story yet? We're giving away Amazon gift cards and FreeNAS Swag/Tshirts.

master-richie

Dabbler
I've been using FreeNAS 9.3 as host for my plexmedia server for the past year, installed on a HP N40L. I like it. Not much of a story to share considering it just sits there and does its job.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Is everyone supposed to share their story in this thread? When you go to that link, it is nothing more than a video, that tells you to go to the same page....is there supposed to be a box to fill in?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Any of you forum regulars share your story yet? We're giving away Amazon gift cards and FreeNAS Swag/Tshirts.
I was hesitant but just posted my story of my journey to FreeNAS. Nothing special, just a home user with a failed hard drive seeking direction on where to go and I ended up here.

I'm so glad that I did.

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Is everyone supposed to share their story in this thread? When you go to that link, it is nothing more than a video, that tells you to go to the same page....is there supposed to be a box to fill in?

There is a form on that page, below the video.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There is a form on that page, below the video.
different computer, same result

EDIT: it was UBlock. You guys might want to have a look at how the form is hosted. ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 9.12.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 9.12.33 AM.png
    705.7 KB · Views: 379

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
different computer, same result

EDIT: it was UBlock. You guys might want to have a look at how the form is hosted. ;)

I'm guessing you block alot of stuff, not much I can do about that.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Some quick Googling suggests we should embed the form using iframe instead of Javascript embed method. Sound right?
That sounds more logical. Willing to test if you want to put it up somewhere

joeschmuck

Old Man
I posted my experience, it goes like this:

When I was a toddler I stuck a fork into an electrical socket and burned the crap out of my hand (parents referred to it as "The Claw" because they didn't think it would ever be normal again, but it recovered fine), my father would bring me broken electrical devices like a turntable, TV, or motor and tell me to fix it. I would plug the device in and try to get it to work, all while there was open electrical power in which I of course always shocked myself. One time I was sitting cross legged to the side of our 25" color console (that is a piece of furniture to you youngsters and the largest TV screen on the market) that of course have vacuum tubes. Well the electrical contacts between the tubes and the tube sockets would fail and someone needed to tap on the tubes to restore the picture, that was my job. So I stick my hand into the back of the TV (I'm not looking because I've done this 100 times before, I was about 14 years of age and we had that TV since I was 2 years of age and I knew that TV and schematics inside and out). Tap Tap - Zzzzz and I go from crossed legs to standing up virtually instantly and my older sister starts laughing her butt off. Yes, I hit the HV tube too close to the top where the 25,000 volts comes out. Anyone who has done this knows what I'm talking about. I have a lot of stories like that and they are all true.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

When I was a toddler I stuck a fork into an electrical socket and burned the crap out of my hand (parents referred to it as "The Claw" because they didn't think it would ever be normal again, but it recovered fine), my father would bring me broken electrical devices like a turntable, TV, or motor and tell me to fix it. I would plug the device in and try to get it to work, all while there was open electrical power in which I of course always shocked myself. One time I was sitting cross legged to the side of our 25" color console (that is a piece of furniture to you youngsters and the largest TV screen on the market) that of course have vacuum tubes. Well the electrical contacts between the tubes and the tube sockets would fail and someone needed to tap on the tubes to restore the picture, that was my job. So I stick my hand into the back of the TV (I'm not looking because I've done this 100 times before, I was about 14 years of age and we had that TV since I was 2 years of age and I knew that TV and schematics inside and out). Tap Tap - Zzzzz and I go from crossed legs to standing up virtually instantly and my older sister starts laughing her butt off. Yes, I hit the HV tube too close to the top where the 25,000 volts comes out. Anyone who has done this knows what I'm talking about. I have a lot of stories like that and they are all true.
The repeated shocks may explain why that has nothing to do with FreeNAS. :D

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just thought I'd add a bit of humor to the thread. I did submit a real story via the online form and vice repeating that here, I just though something different would be nice.

scholztec

Dabbler

When I was a toddler I stuck a fork into an electrical socket and burned the crap out of my hand .... Yes, I hit the HV tube too close to the top where the 25,000 volts comes out. Anyone who has done this knows what I'm talking about. I have a lot of stories like that and they are all true.

I have used the euphemism "nearly crapped my pants laughing" or some other variant, with a fair bit of buffer between the "nearly" and the "crapped". You, sir, came closer to owing me a pair of pants than anyone else ever has. For that, I bestow upon you the (dubious) honor of "Person who has made Justin closest to actually crapping his pants with laughter." I believe there's an official coat of arms and other niceties that come with this designation, I'll check and get back.

Thank you for the most believably hilarious kid-fixing-electrical-stuff story that didn't involve me.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for the feedback, glad you didn't full those pants. The crap I did as a kid and still survived.

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
Well, I had similar electrical experiences with GM HEI ignitions rather than TVs. Sweaty skin makes a great conductor. I still have random Tourettes moments when I am near a spark plug.

Oh, yeah - submitted my FreeNAS story...

Status
Not open for further replies.