Share name must equal folder name ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicko

Dabbler
Hi,
don't know if it's a bug or a feature:
have just created a set of subfolders on a UFS formatted drive to share with CIFS to a win7 client, then created a set of shares to match. Unless the share name is the same as the folder name the share is not visible to the client.
Ie:
folder name Pictures, share name Photos, share not visible to client
folder name Pictures, share name Pictures, share visible.
Is this expected ? - can't find any reference to this as a requirement in the documentation.

J

jpaetzel

We've recently fixed some issues with samba, UFS, and windows 7 that may be causing the issue you are seeing. I don't think the root issue is caused by the share name and path. There is no requirement that the names match.

nicko

Dabbler
Thanks jpaetzel,
I noticed that issue with R6918 which I had just installed and which resolved the permissions issues (huge thanks for that by the way). I've just upgraded again to R6929 and now the share name can be different to the folder name. Problem is I'm not really certain now whether it was the change from 6918 to 6929 that corrected the operation or simply the reboot on the server caused by doing another upgrade. Sorry for that.

nicko

Dabbler
@jpaetzel

just upgraded to beta4 and there still appears to be an issue - I have 4 UFS drives all with a root level share and then sub folder shares with share names that do not match the actual folder name (sub folders for the individual users and the root level share for my access to add new folders if required). After booting up after the upgrade , all the root level shares are mapped succesfully but all the folder shares report as 'network path not found'. (this is the same as it was after the R6918 upgrade).
Disconnected from the four root shares, then turned CIFS off and then back on again - no change.
Rename one share to match the folder name and that then maps successfully.
Once that share is mapped all the other shares then map OK, (even though the share name does not match the folder name).
Disconnect all shares
Rename the original share back so that the share name does not match the folder name (ie back to what it was originally) and try mapping all shares again - all shares now map OK.

Hope that makes sense :smile:

(it's just a minor irritation that I can get round easily but thought you should know in case it points to something more serious).

Nick

ps have just tried rebooting the server (power off/power on) and the client pc, fault comes back as before, so at least it's repeatable.

Have also just noticed that the volume permissions had defaulted to unix (permissions seemed to be working fine even though I'm windows 7), so tried resetting them to windows. First time the change box times out with a 'some error occurred' message and the permissions check boxes remove the ticks from 'group' and 'other' write. Reset the tick boxes and try updating again - works fine second time around. Did the same on all four drives.

nicko

Dabbler
Just done some more experimenting, this is nothing to do with the actual share name at all. Following a reboot of the server I cannot log onto any of the folder shares (irrespective of what they are called), but can log on to the root shares. Editing any one of the folder shares must initialise something (sorry, I'm a total noob with freebsd) which then allows the system to see all the shares again. They then stay visible until I next reboot the server ( I tend not to leave it running overnight, so this is more often than most I suspect), at which point I again need to do a dummy edit on one of the shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.