Share ACL problem

truefriend-cz

Explorer
After clean installl COBIA show error if i want define users for "Share ACL for *share drive*".
All items is in default (pool, dataset items and ACL filesystem user and groups).

I changed only in SMB service:
NetBIOS name trom "truenas" to "nas"
and Description name from "TrueNAS Server" to "NAS Server".

Error:
Code:
[ENOENT] (7, 'WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND: wbcCtxLookupSid failed', '../../nsswitch/py_wbclient.c:241')

Details:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/idmap.py", line 1128, in unixid_to_sid entry = WBClient().uidgid_to_sid(payload) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/idmap_/utils.py", line 129, in uidgid_to_sid mapped = self.users_and_groups_to_sids([data])['mapped'] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/idmap_/utils.py", line 108, in users_and_groups_to_sids return self.ctx.uid_gid_objects_from_unix_ids(uidgids) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wbclient.WBCError: (7, 'WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND: wbcCtxLookupSid failed', '../../nsswitch/py_wbclient.c:241') During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 201, in call_method result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1341, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 177, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 44, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/smb.py", line 1838, in setacl if not (sid := await self.middleware.call('idmap.unixid_to_sid', entry['ae_who_id'])): ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1398, in call return await self._call( ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1352, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1251, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3.11/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/idmap.py", line 1140, in unixid_to_sid raise CallError(str(e), WBCErr[e.error_code], e.error_code) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [ENOENT] (7, 'WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND: wbcCtxLookupSid failed', '../../nsswitch/py_wbclient.c:241')

1698489783853.png

How i can fix this?

Last edited:

chris1284

Cadet
Same Problem/error here, fresh installation. just changes netbios name in smb service. a reboot was the solution

truefriend-cz

Explorer
Please provide exact steps to reproduce. 23.10.1.3 is basically 23.10.1 with some highly-targeted bugfixes. I can check whether it's already fixed for 23.10.2.
Yesterday, I permanently ended support and purchase options for the TrueNAS equipment and services company and want nothing to do with this software anymore. I tried to contribute for about 6 years and in practice, what I devoted some effort to a solution, then someone from the development management came and canceled the entire functionality of what I was solving. This happened for the third time so I decided to leave TrueNAS.
The last thing that was the last straw was that I spent about 4 years solving how to perfectly set the "Auxiliary Parameters" so that it covers all the needs. A tender for the purchase of HW from TrueNAS was held, where TrueNAS was leading in all ranks thanks to this. After four years of tuning and optimization. And then, three months before the purchase, the Cobia version came, where they completely removed the "Auxiliary Parameters" function, and the management of the TrueNAS developers is firmly behind the fact that they will not return this function.
All the time I spent debugging and integrating useful functions in the applied methodology was gradually completely removed, and I would rather use my time more efficiently. Therefore, priority was given to competing NAS products, which I am satisfied with. Mainly because of the stability of support and features... It cannot happen that from month to month or from version to version the company management decides to remove important parts of the functionality. This is unthinkable in an Entrerprise environment, especially when the purchase of technology does not cost a few crowns.

So reproducing the problem doesn't make sense to me because it may very well happen again and again that someone will remove the feature rather than fix it. I've spent enough time on this already. It was a waste of time = TrueNAS is a waste of time. Perhaps when some element of TrueNAS company management changes that approaches things this way, my attitude will change as well. However, this is currently not possible.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yesterday, I permanently ended support and purchase options for the TrueNAS equipment and services company and want nothing to do with this software anymore. I tried to contribute for about 6 years and in practice, what I devoted some effort to a solution, then someone from the development management came and canceled the entire functionality of what I was solving. This happened for the third time so I decided to leave TrueNAS.
The last thing that was the last straw was that I spent about 4 years solving how to perfectly set the "Auxiliary Parameters" so that it covers all the needs. A tender for the purchase of HW from TrueNAS was held, where TrueNAS was leading in all ranks thanks to this. After four years of tuning and optimization. And then, three months before the purchase, the Cobia version came, where they completely removed the "Auxiliary Parameters" function, and the management of the TrueNAS developers is firmly behind the fact that they will not return this function.
All the time I spent debugging and integrating useful functions in the applied methodology was gradually completely removed, and I would rather use my time more efficiently. Therefore, priority was given to competing NAS products, which I am satisfied with. Mainly because of the stability of support and features... It cannot happen that from month to month or from version to version the company management decides to remove important parts of the functionality. This is unthinkable in an Entrerprise environment, especially when the purchase of technology does not cost a few crowns.

So reproducing the problem doesn't make sense to me because it may very well happen again and again that someone will remove the feature rather than fix it. I've spent enough time on this already. It was a waste of time = TrueNAS is a waste of time. Perhaps when some element of TrueNAS company management changes that approaches things this way, my attitude will change as well. However, this is currently not possible.
Auxiliary parameters are not exactly related to share ACLs, and they have not been removed (they are still accessible via API / CLI). In general, they're liable to break between releases by their nature, and so if there is some optimization that needs to be accomplished through them, a feature request should be made to expose the parameters in question via the UI. Do you have any particular steps to reproduce the share ACL issue?

truefriend-cz

Explorer
Auxiliary parameters are not exactly related to share ACLs, and they have not been removed (they are still accessible via API / CLI). In general, they're liable to break between releases by their nature, and so if there is some optimization that needs to be accomplished through them, a feature request should be made to expose the parameters in question via the UI. Do you have any particular steps to reproduce the share ACL issue?
Auxiliary parameters they are a regular part of SAMBA since SAMBA version 1.3 and are gradually expanded and additional parameters are added. Auxiliary parameters in the form of the basic SAMBA service are fully compatible with this service and are seamlessly integrated into this service.
TrueNAS and other NAS systems with the SMB protocol are the manager of the SAMBA service and it is only up to the manager how it can integrate Auxiliary parameters. In practice, this should not be a problem, as confirmed by earlier versions of TrueNAS that supported this feature and from my testing I did not notice any problems with their integration. There was a default, and if the user wanted something outside of this default, he could do it using Auxiliary parameters. I don't know what went wrong with it. I haven't found anyone here on the forum describing it causing them any problems either. The problem was rather that people did not know what parameters to use, because they did not know or could not find the documentation for SAMBA services.

ACL is a different matter and I mentioned that with Auxiliary parameters rather as a reason why I will no longer provide steps to reproduce the problem. I only stated that the error was not removed and that I found it unnecessary to reproduce the error, because I did not come to the conclusion that it would be effective through analysis from the more detailed knowledge of reproducing other problems.
For example, I reproduced the problems regarding Auxiliary parameters, which solved everything, and finally the developer wrapped it up by removing the Auxiliary parameters function completely. It's demotivating and I personally don't understand this attitude. However, it has such an effect on me that I go elsewhere, because I no longer trust the product and its development and I don't want to spend my time devoting myself to something that is more in the direction of extinction than development. Of course, the new version of Cobia brought a lot of other things, among which I see a change especially at the level of visual elements of individual buttons, panels and a completely redesigned "Apps" interface, which is certainly nice, but I would rather expect such a change in products that have well-solved basics (for example, Auxiliary parameters ). If these foundations are not stable and I can expect their removal, then I would prefer development that focuses on functionality and not on appearance. Although I understand that it is a modern trend. I would not expect that the appearance of the user interface will have such a fundamental effect on the functionality - that the Auxiliary parameters functionality must be removed, which is still on the rise in the SAMBA service itself and enjoys more and more popularity.