SFP+ Transceivers?

dev_willis

Dabbler
Hi!
I just recently bought a shiny new TrueNAS Mini XL+ and I want to set it up on a subnet with two desktops using SFP+. I've never worked with fiber before but I have read jgreco's excellent 10 Gig Networking Primer thread, among other things. I picked up the MikroTik 5-port switch and I've identified some OM3 patch cable and now I'm trying to identify the proper transceivers to use.

So, my question: do I understand correctly that I need two transceivers per cable, one for each end, and so a total of six of them to connect all three machines to the switch? And that it's best to avoid knock-offs and buy Intel? If all that's right, where is the best place to buy them? Most everything I can find says "Intel compatible" which says to me it's a knock-off. The only thing I've been able to find that's for sure Intel is this one but if I'm going to need six of them that price is pretty steep. If that's what it is then that's what it is but I didn't want to go spending $800 on this without checking to make sure I was doing the right thing.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

dev_willis

Dabbler
Is it actually important to use Intel optics (when people say "optics," they're talking about the transceivers, right?)? Or is it the PCIe card that's important to have be Intel? Or is it both? I read somewhere that Intel cards won't work with non-Intel optics. The TrueNAS mini and our new desktop from Puget came with the cards they need already installed but I will have to get a card for the existing desktop we have. I was planning to get this one.

If I could buy something like this Microreer cable that would be great. But will it work (and work well) if I plug it into an Intel card? I'm afraid the answer is "no." I'm a firm believer in the you-get-what-you-pay-for principle and the price seems too good to be true. Plus, I've never heard of Microreer.

BTW, sorry for the multiple posts--I don't see a way to edit my previous posts.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is it actually important to use Intel optics (when people say "optics," they're talking about the transceivers, right?)? Or is it the PCIe card that's important to have be Intel? Or is it both? I read somewhere that Intel cards won't work with non-Intel optics. The TrueNAS mini and our new desktop from Puget came with the cards they need already installed but I will have to get a card for the existing desktop we have. I was planning to get this one.

There's some discussion of this in the 10 Gig Networking Primer thread.

Basically, if a set of optics work, it is very likely to work fine. Some vendors lock their cards to only accept certain optics, which involves sticking a code into the module's electronics. This is often done at the driver level, so you might discover that a generic optic that works with a given card under Linux or FreeBSD might not work under Windows or ESXi.

The classic way I would suggest to deal with this is to purchase the appropriate optics on the used market. They don't generally go bad in the sorts of environments they are normally used in, I see maybe a 1-2% failed rate in optics purchased off eBay. You can also get generics that have been coded appropriately from certain resellers such as fs.com.

If I could buy something like this Microreer cable that would be great. But will it work (and work well) if I plug it into an Intel card? I'm afraid the answer is "no." I'm a firm believer in the you-get-what-you-pay-for principle and the price seems too good to be true. Plus, I've never heard of Microreer.

No experience with that particular item. It is likely to work if the card you are using will take generics. Sometimes things don't work. Those of us who don't care to keep track of this multidimensional shitshow of compatibility matrices just buy the vendor optics and run fiber, which has just shy of a 100.0% chance of working for every case. That's why I usually suggest optics, but really, whatever works for you, if it works, doesn't bother me at all.

BTW, sorry for the multiple posts--I don't see a way to edit my previous posts.

ftfy :smile:

dev_willis

Dabbler
There's some discussion of this in the 10 Gig Networking Primer thread.

Basically, if a set of optics work, it is very likely to work fine. Some vendors lock their cards to only accept certain optics, which involves sticking a code into the module's electronics. This is often done at the driver level, so you might discover that a generic optic that works with a given card under Linux or FreeBSD might not work under Windows or ESXi.

The classic way I would suggest to deal with this is to purchase the appropriate optics on the used market. They don't generally go bad in the sorts of environments they are normally used in, I see maybe a 1-2% failed rate in optics purchased off eBay. You can also get generics that have been coded appropriately from certain resellers such as fs.com.

No experience with that particular item. It is likely to work if the card you are using will take generics. Sometimes things don't work. Those of us who don't care to keep track of this multidimensional ****show of compatibility matrices just buy the vendor optics and run fiber, which has just shy of a 100.0% chance of working for every case. That's why I usually suggest optics, but really, whatever works for you, if it works, doesn't bother me at all.

ftfy :smile:
Thank you very much! I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on this stuff.

And thanks for fixing my post! :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
People are often put off from the 10G stuff because it is "unfamiliar". Once you get a handle on it, though, it's only a little bit more complicated than 1G, and the payoff from the additional speed is quite enjoyable. Also, other faster technologies more closely resemble 10G SFP+/LC than they do 1G copper, so you are setting yourself up to be more comfortable when you wanna do that 40G or 100G upgrade someday down the road.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've been very happy with the third-party optics (yes, they're the same as the transceivers) from fs.com. $16-18 each new, and they'll make them compatible with whatever gear you want. They're also a good source for patch cables, and no doubt lots of other stuff.

NugentS

MVP
Another vote for fs.com. I get all mine there and haven't had an issue yet

dev_willis

Dabbler
Thanks! I really appreciate all the advice. It's very helpful. :smile:

dev_willis

Dabbler
Just wanted to add that fs.com has been great. They had exactly what I needed at great prices with excellent customer service. Will definitely do business with them again. Thanks again!