Setup FreeNAS as an iSCSI guest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

121x

Cadet
I have been reading and searching the forums for a definitive answer on this one. I am hoping to use FreeNAS to present iSCSI volumes from our back-end Equallogic arrays as NFS shares to our Linux servers. So in other words, mount some iSCSI volumes ON the FressNAS server and share them as NFS mount points to other guests (act as a gateway). I have been reading conflicting information and hoping someone can confirm either way of this supported, and if so, point me to a guide on the proper setup steps.

Thanks guys!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is it supported? I believe with some command line magic you could do what you want.

Is it something I'd recommend? Heck no. Why would you share out an iscsi device only to share it out again? Surely there's a more optimal way to share out your data...

121x

Cadet
Thanks. I have been reading that the feature is available via config at the command line through iscontrol. However when i try to perform a discovery I keep getting a 'no such file or directory' dev/iscsi. I am not sure if I do not have all the packages or what.

To answer your question, we support over 300 linux servers in an esx environment backed by equallogic (iscsi) storage. We standup new servers all the time. As a result, this requires constant coordination between the linux support team and the infrastructure to create volumes, share the iqn's, configure access, hand off, etc. We are looking at presenting a couple 1-2 tb volumes via NFS for some lower IO demand storage so the linux team has space available without continuous requests for SAN volumes, iscsi targets and eating up connection counts. This also ensures cleaner space reclamation on these volumes. Equallogic does provide a filer head with NFS support, but there pricing is outrageous for what you get. A glorified R710/720 running a FreeBSD variant (I think it is anyways). I can do the same with an R710, 32gb of memory, 2 x CPU and a number of bonded interfaces.

Hopefully that helps to answer the 'why'. I wanted to use FreeNAS or another appliance like option because it already contains all the necessary monitoring and statistic plug-ins.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you will be looking at added complexity(2 machines can cause NFS to go down), decreased speed due to the increased overhead of sharing out iscsi to share out NFS. You might not like what you end up with. As for the FreeNAS GUI, I'm not sure how much it will like what you do. It's something you might have to try to see how well it works(or doesn't work).

I'm not sure why you aren't considering just building a FreeNAS server and sharing its storage space out as NFS space. That would get rid of both of your problems above and is guaranteed to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.