Setting up new TrueNas Scale with Plex, unable to see media.

Settler11

Dabbler
So, it's my first time experience with Truenas. I'd say it's missing some logic here and there and very sometimes it does what's been requested... (also registering on the forum with register page, after submitting brought me to a new blank register page. Pretty much the same experience Im getting with Truenas itself)

You can might tell I was getting pretty much irritated when you do the exact same steps but it only starts working the 3rd/4th time. The first 1/2 gives a bunch of errors that's been posted here multiple times.

And yes, this question also got asked many times but even after following guides here and videos (that were a tad outdated), I've stopped at a certain step.

I'm unable to see my Media content.

So here is what I've got so far...:

SMB and Plex are running.

1674510567781.png

Permissions on shared folder /Media (folder above, same folder)

1674510625856.png

Users in Group 'Admin'
1674510712005.png

Plex application settings:

1674510768133.png

Not sure why, but 'TV Shows' is seeing double, but even both added gives nothing in return:
1674510851815.png

Settler11

Dabbler
Nice! I ended up setting it up using that video as well since I couldn't get my original one to update with new files. Cheers
Ugh, new trouble already... I was moving a bunch of content to my 3TB disk (like 10gb) but it's saying it doesn't have enough space??

I'm moving content via Windows to a shared network folder I created in Windows inside a 'Dataset' that I created in Truenas (folder Plex itself).

elorimer

Contributor
This works if the data path and the config path are set to the same dataset, but if they are different. Then the data path (e.g., mnt/Tank/Media) doesn't show up within plex.

Settler11

Dabbler
This works if the data path and the config path are set to the same dataset, but if they are different. Then the data path (e.g., mnt/Tank/Media) doesn't show up within plex.
No need to bump a 3 month old post.
Ive figured it out back then.

elorimer

Contributor
I set up plex on scale yesterday, and your post helped me fix this non-intuitively obvious issue. I wasn't trying to help you, but others who might now be installing plex. I don't know why the chart would allow separate paths if they don't work.

Settler11

Dabbler
I set up plex on scale yesterday, and your post helped me fix this non-intuitively obvious issue. I wasn't trying to help you, but others who might now be installing plex. I don't know why the chart would allow separate paths if they don't work.
I see, I misunderstood. Glad it worked out for you. :)

I'd say, even though it was quite the hassle to set it up, it's working very stable so far. Very recently catalog Truecharts seems to have problems? But it's working pretty solid.

fredbourdelier

Dabbler
I checked this video and moved config and data into the same dataset - didn't actually help for my installation. I still couldn't see the media. This is likely because my SMB share/permissions squashed the Plex setup permissions. Once I added user/group 972 (there are several threads on this in the forums, here is the doc link for CORE: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/coretutorials/communityguides/aclpermissionsjails/) to my share ACL, Plex can see the media folders, and I can still access them via SMB (with proper credentials). Next, I need to virtualize my media PC and modify IP config so I never go outside the TrueNAS box - I can rip my discs or save my properly licensed media files securely, and no one else can steal them by getting on my network (security is priority 1.5 - working is priority 1).