Setting up my first FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heide264

Cadet
Thanks guys! I'll populate both black ones (A1/B1) and go from there.

I'll post back up once I get the hardware tested out and everything up and functioning.

Heide264

Cadet
Alright - it's alive!

Got everything booted up and moving along. Setup recurring snapshots, SMART tests, and scrubs. I just made up one massive Windows share for now, and may just leave it that way with my current setup. I dumped a standalone installation of LaunchBox/RetroArch (for emulators) on it and loaded up my ROM library as a test. It's a bit slow with that many ROMs, but I didn't have high hopes, and it did pretty well. I was having some access issues, so I ended up making the share unauthenticated, for now. I'll play around with that next week to see if I can work around it.

I ended up ordering the other 16Gb of ECC, and to get my other PC back (I borrowed its 4130T, which I thought was in my decommissioned machine), did some shopping for some Xeon's on ebay. I'm not sure whether it's due to end of life, or the surplus of low TDP models, but I was having trouble finding a decent deal on the e3-1220 v3 models. I ended up splurging for a used e3-1231v3 for $170, figuring that it'll take whatever I throw at it and it'll be good to go for years. Even got some new thermal paste for it - treat yo' self!

Side note: IPMI is amazing! Took me a bit to figure out how to adjust BIOS settings remotely, but man, that's way nicer than fighting with a monitor and keyboard in place. Even for home use, I love remote administration.

I'm going to take some time this week (if I get around to it), to setup email alerts, the plex server plug-in, and attempt to wrastle windows permissions into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.