Server hardware question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuganater

Patron
So I am a net admin by day, gamer by night. None of which require me to have server hardware knowledge. I have researched for several days and I think I know what I am looking for but before spending the bennies, I want to make sure.

So the writing of this might suck a bit because I am jumping around as I am writing it... sorry.

I am totally redoing my server and NAS setups. Currently I am using Windows 7 as my server but I am going to format my primary server with FreeNAS which means I need to do some hardware changes. Let me make this first point, power cost does not matter, only efficiency.

This server will host all my files which is currently about 15 TB of 28TB (Raw storage counting parity drives). I am using 3TB WD RE drives. My case can hold 12 HDD so I only need 3 more to max it out. It also will host Plex for my household so I want to be able to have several devices using it at the same time. I want to do at least 32GB of RAM to keep up with my growing storage.

So I first looked at:
Supermicro X9SRL-F $270
Heatsink $40
Intel Zeon E5-2603 V3 $219 or the Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 $430
32GB Mushkin ECC RAM $210

This mobo supports 10 HDD which doesn't really matter because I may get an Intel RAID Expander Card (RES2SV240) which supports 24 drives. I am getting this for future use. It also supports more than enough RAM because I may do something more with the system in years to come. A downside is that this is using old DDR3 RAM and not DDR4, not a huge issue but I wanted to keep this pretty updated for "future proof". (I know that is a myth but if I can get more updated hw now, I won't have to as quickly later)

Will I notice that big of a difference between the 2603 and the 2620? I know Plex says they need a 2000 PassMark score to work which both of these surpass.

Next I found the Supermicro MBD-X10SRA-O for the same price. All I can tell is that the layout is different, the chipset is newer (C612 vs C602) and it uses DDR4. Anything else I should be aware of? Is this a truly better board that the X9SRL-F?

Finally I found this:
Supermicro MBD-X10SRL-F $271

It looks to be pretty much the same as the X10SRA-O but I can't really tell the major differences. (I do see the SATA ports are different but that doesn't really matter.)

32GB Kingston ECC RAM $250 OR 32gb Crucial ECC RAM $280
I thought I read somewhere on here to stay away from ECC Kingston RAM but I wanted to check.

So the big questions:
Which motherboard will I get the most miles out of? Especially because they are all the same price.
Does the processor matter that much? Will I notice that big of a difference between the 2603 and the 2620? Again, power consumption does not matter.

So ya, thanks for reading and I hope that I don't sound like a total moron. I look forward to comments, criticism and/or recommendations. Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The CPUs to use on the X10S boards are the E5-16xx v3. The 26's will work, but the 1650 is only about $500 for a hexacore 3.5 GHz and is by far the most powerful, least expensive per GHz option across all E5's.. I have a 1650 here in one of the filers just twiddling its bored little bits.

hansmuff

Dabbler
The X9SRL-F and the X10SRL-F have IPMI, which you definitely want. It's the bee's knees.
I'd stay away from the one with onboard Audio, they seem to throw features on those boards that you don't need/want in a server.
As far as chipsets are concerned, check the FreeNAS documentation for compatibility. Newer isn't always better here.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And you need to know that the X9SRL won't work with a Xeon E5 v3.

Fuganater

Patron
The CPUs to use on the X10S boards are the E5-16xx v3. The 26's will work, but the 1650 is only about $500 for a hexacore 3.5 GHz and is by far the most powerful, least expensive per GHz option across all E5's.. I have a 1650 here in one of the filers just twiddling its bored little bits.

Good to know. Bit more expensive but I guess it will be worth it in the long run.

The X9SRL-F and the X10SRL-F have IPMI, which you definitely want. It's the bee's knees.
I'd stay away from the one with onboard Audio, they seem to throw features on those boards that you don't need/want in a server.
As far as chipsets are concerned, check the FreeNAS documentation for compatibility. Newer isn't always better here.

So it looks like the C600 series are supported but looking at the network adapters... the X10SRL-F uses Intel i210 and that is not listed. I googled some more and it looks like people are using it without issue.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can choose a different E5-16xx v3 of course... the 1620 ought to be very nice.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Fuganater

Patron
Haha... cheap he says.

I think I am going to pull the triger on teh X10SRL-F, 32GB of Crucial RAM and the E5 -1620. I am now debating if I should get a rack case for it and a rack... The wife is gonna kill me...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Cheap is all relative, of course. The upside to something like the E5-1620 v3 ($290) is that it's similar to the E3-1241 v3 ($260) but without the memory limits. The boards tend to be a little more expensive, but that 32GB limit on the E3 has been looking a little hurt-y for awhile now. Back when the FreeNAS 8 project started, it was hard convincing people that they should go up to 8GB of RAM... how things change.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Haha... cheap he says.

I think I am going to pull the triger on teh X10SRL-F, 32GB of Crucial RAM and the E5 -1620. I am now debating if I should get a rack case for it and a rack... The wife is gonna kill me...
Well, my 2x 8GB DDR3 1.35V ECC UDIMMs cost me ~180€ a bit over a year ago, with pricing remaining stable well into this year.:p In fact, such a kit still costs 160€, meaning that DDR4 is now cheaper than DDR3 (in this particular niche). So, DDR4 + a Xeon E5-1620 v3 is actually cheaper than DDR3 + a Xeon E3-1241 v3 (setting the motherboard aside) - and it's a much more capable platform.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Plus you have the option to spring for a 1650 v3 in case you're planning any major jail action. Make the most of the platform for only an incremental cost!

I've got a 1650 v3 in an iSCSI filer and it is pretty clear that it is mostly wasted. The thing doesn't get more than maybe 10% busy.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The E5-1650 v3 really is a nice sweet spot. High clocks (not 4-core Haswell high, but still faster than most Pentium 4s), six cores with hyper threading, 15MB L3... They are limited to RDIMMs, though, so they're not an option for extremely RAM-hungry systems.

Edit: I kinda like to think of it as a triple i3-4330, since it's three times the cores, with a bit of extra L3.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
and LRDIMMs
All I've seen points to LRDIMMs being exclusively supported on Xeon E5-2xxx and Xeon E7, which would limit E5-16xx to 256GB with 32GB RDIMMs.

The 16xxs have a single memory controller, while the 2xxxs have dual memory controllers, which include support for things like memory mirroring (apparently).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All I've seen points to LRDIMMs being exclusively supported on Xeon E5-2xxx and Xeon E7, which would limit E5-16xx to 256GB with 32GB RDIMMs.

The 16xxs have a single memory controller, while the 2xxxs have dual memory controllers, which include support for things like memory mirroring (apparently).
So, ark lists all Xeon E5 v3s at 768GB. Either I'm going crazy or they used to undersell the 16xxs. I am also almost completely certain that Supermicro used to state that their boards only supported LRDIMMs when used with Xeon E5-2xxx v3 CPUs...

jgreco

Resident Grinch

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...nts/datasheets/xeon-e5-v3-datasheet-vol-1.pdf
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...nts/datasheets/xeon-e5-v3-datasheet-vol-2.pdf

I would hope such a stunning deficiency would be documented in the datasheet, maybe volume 1 around page 50, but I'm not seeing it. I'm also unclear on how you'd get to 768GB without LRDIMM, and the ARK clearly states 768GB. Though we know that's not always 100%.

Also I just checked our manuals for the X10SRW and I don't see anything special-casing the memory on the 1600.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So, ark lists all Xeon E5 v3s at 768GB. Either I'm going crazy or they used to undersell the 16xxs. I am also almost completely certain that Supermicro used to state that their boards only supported LRDIMMs when used with Xeon E5-2xxx v3 CPUs...

Perhaps you're thinking of the v2's, that capped out at 256GB?

Fuganater

Patron
So when looking at x10SRL I see them with -F -O and -F -B..... what does the -O and -B mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.