server crash randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Hi eveyone,

I have a FreeNAS server which is used to backup two other servers over NFS and it keeps crashing randomly without good explanation.

The server's specs are:
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x86 (11367)
Platform: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory: 3305MB
System Time: Sat Jul 28 11:33:42 2012
Uptime: 11:33AM up 1 day, 22:43, 0 users
Load Average: 0.24, 0.26, 0.24
OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p7

And I can't see on any of the graphs that it's overloaded or anything strange at the time when it crashes, as per the attached graphs.

The server doesn't respond to ping, SSH or the web interface.

Attachments

• cpu-1w.png
    cpu-1w.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 224
  • if-em0-1w.png
    if-em0-1w.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 221
  • load-1w.png
    load-1w.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 238
  • memory-1w.png
    memory-1w.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 224
  • processes-1w.png
    processes-1w.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 236
  • swap-1w.png
    swap-1w.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 233

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Have you tried testing your RAM to make sure it's good? Memtes is what I recommend for testing RAM.

Are you using ZFS? If you are, you need more RAM. ZFS is a memory hog. With 4GB of RAM alot of users have random crashes and kernel panics because they run out of RAM.

flojo

Cadet
Hiya

Test your hardware !!!

I work for a web hosting company, and ive been testing the s##t out of freenas for a potential solution.
My only comment and thought,so far is, is rocksolid. Very impressed.

Well is it FreeBSD, afterall underneath. :)

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Have you tried testing your RAM to make sure it's good? Memtes is what I recommend for testing RAM.

Are you using ZFS? If you are, you need more RAM. ZFS is a memory hog. With 4GB of RAM alot of users have random crashes and kernel panics because they run out of RAM.

Thanx, I'll see if we can schedule some downtime for a memtest, but AFAIK the memory should be goon since it was tested beforehand.

The server doesn't use much RAM to begin with, so I don't with more RAM will actually help?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
the memory should be goon since it was tested beforehand.

The server doesn't use much RAM to begin with, so I don't with more RAM will actually help?

Running x86 and ZFS is likely to get you some trouble. ZFS, at least as tuned by default on FreeNAS, really needs more like 6-8GB of RAM. You can probably get your existing setup to work if you read some of the x86 tuning hints people have posted over the last year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.