Server Chassis Hiccups Repair or Replace?

Hey all, looking for some advice on my FreeNAS build. I've got a random 3U no-name chassis with zero identification. The nearest I can tell is it's a NORCO RPC-3216. I'm having a few issues with it.

https://www.missingremote.com/review/2018/04/norco-rpc-3216-3u-16-bay-hot-swap-server-chassis

1. I believe one of my HBA's died. I'm getting "IOC in unexpected reset state" on each boot when a particular card is installed. Seems likely it's a dead card. I'd just replace it but.....
  2. At least one of the backplanes are acting up, maybe two. I've moved around power, SAS cables, known good HBAs and I can't get drives to be reliably detected in the bottom rows.
I think this means this chassis is basically useless. I've tried to research the backplane but I get nowhere. I'm not familiar with them or how I'd even replace one or all?

So do I try and find a replacement card and order a new PCIe HBA? Or do I just move to a whole new chassis?

If the latter I'm looking for recommendations for a 3U Chassis that can hold at least 16x 3.5 inch drives.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you confirmed the backplane has dead parts and you can't find replacement backplane boards, then the chassis starts to seem far less useful.

I would turf it out if I were you and then diagnose your HBA problems separately with a new (presumably good) setup.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hey all, looking for some advice on my FreeNAS build. I've got a random 3U no-name chassis with zero identification. The nearest I can tell is it's a NORCO RPC-3216. I'm having a few issues with it.

https://www.missingremote.com/review/2018/04/norco-rpc-3216-3u-16-bay-hot-swap-server-chassis

1. I believe one of my HBA's died. I'm getting "IOC in unexpected reset state" on each boot when a particular card is installed. Seems likely it's a dead card. I'd just replace it but.....
  2. At least one of the backplanes are acting up, maybe two. I've moved around power, SAS cables, known good HBAs and I can't get drives to be reliably detected in the bottom rows.
I think this means this chassis is basically useless. I've tried to research the backplane but I get nowhere. I'm not familiar with them or how I'd even replace one or all?

So do I try and find a replacement card and order a new PCIe HBA? Or do I just move to a whole new chassis?

If the latter I'm looking for recommendations for a 3U Chassis that can hold at least 16x 3.5 inch drives.

The Norcos are low quality stuff. Talk to a Norco distributor to see if you can get the backplane as an individual spare part, be prepared to spend a ridiculous amount on it. In my experience, companies like Norco that sell bottom-tier kit are manufacturing, assembling, and boxing their kit in Asia and then shipping it to the US. This allows them to offer the lowest cost for a ready-to-go chassis. The problem with this is that it means that there may not be a location in the US that has a supply of spare parts, so they may need to end up special ordering it from Asia, which incurs a lot of extra cost because of all the special handling involved. I've also seen distributors parts up a chassis here in the US and sell bits off it at a premium rate. Obviously they only want to do this if they can sell enough parts off it to make up for the expense.