Seriously studying how to move most operations of my servers to FreeNAS

polbel

Cadet
Hi,
i have been dabbling into freeNAS (and freeBSD) concepts for a few years and i find it amazing how fast improvements have been coming. Same goes for hardware; looking at the asus knpa-u16 motherboard with an Epyc CPU (128-lanes PCIe) for an affordable AI server running freeNAS/freeBSD with 7x2TB NVMe for short-term storage, 12x14TB in Z2 long-term storage, GTX 1070 graphics card for deep learning processing of the scimag library (presently at 75 million articles). I regret having spent over 3 decades trying to master the quirks of windows and its server versions (and messy licensing) when i see how much can be done for free, legally with freeNAS now. i wish i knew as much about freeNAS as i know about windows.

Right now i am scratching my head installing urBackup server in a jail on a 2U case with a Xeon E3-1260L v5 CPU and 8x4TB WD Red Z2-array. i managed installing freeNAS 11.2 U4 on a mirror of 2x64GB usb3 keys after a few hours. What took the longest was figuring the windows bluescreen at the end of preparing the usb install key did not prevent using it to do the install (even if inserting it in any windows machine caused instant bluescreens, mac did not complain at all). Once that hurdle is passed, i will try virtualizing the domain controller of the senior house where it will be doing automated backups of all the PCs the 75 residents and 12 administrators are using. I put a 1TB NVMe on the motherboard to get as fast as possible operations from that virtualized domain controller and other emergency virtualization that might be necessary. i hope i am not too ambitious...

Yorick

Wizard
Never have I had a BSOD by inserting a USB key. Something’s not right with those Windows machines. Possibly autoplay settings or just the versioning of Windows.

When you run Task manager on that DC, do you see enough disk I/O to warrant the single NVMe? I’d probably be more worried about redundancy, this sounds like a small environment.

Good luck with urBackup, I haven’t used it and can’t comment. I’ve had very good experience with veeam for Windows agent free backup up to an SMB share, with the caveat that restore requires typing in the full path - veeam restore key doesn’t support WSD and so doesn’t manage to browse for the FreeNAS server.

polbel

Cadet
Thanks for helping Yorick, as long as i can use the key to install freeNAS i don't really mind. i got the same bsod with either the latest rufus or win32diskimager1.0.0 at the end of the creation process. Did not get that bsod from the previous install key i made last summer with freeNAS 11.1U2 iso when inserting it in the same PCs. i saw in the forums that most of the times this happens with a new freeNAS iso, windows or the sticks get the rap. Since you are a guru and it is a low-cost 8GB stick i could mail it to you for further investigation. i have another key i made that does exactly the same bsod but works fine for installing freeNAS. Since i have a deadline coming soon for solving the backup problems, i will probably resort to veeam for now and keep learning more about FreeNAS.