Selecting ACL Preset under Edit ACL halts forever on Please Wait

jbssm

Dabbler
I am trying to share some media over Samba and after setting up the Dataset and the user I went over to Edit ACL to take care of permissions.

Unfortunately, the "Select ACL Preset", just halts on "Please Wait" for any of the 3 predefined presets there.

Anybody noticed this bug? Any way to solve it?

Not sure if related, using setfacl -Rn and ls -Rlk in webui on shell get stuck reproducable (harddisk seeking, then stops on those positions) on certain files / directories. Now scrubbing pool. Using cp in parallel to another disk / pool, no problems so far.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Are you trying to apply an ACL to your root dataset? The root dataset is reserved, and can't have it's permissions/ACLs changed. Create a daughter dataset, and apply permissions/ACLs to that. Don't use the root dataset for anything other than hosting daughter datasets/zvols. Only share out daughter datasets.

I did not try the pool itself to change acl permissions (/mnt/dataarray), but datasets (/mnt/dataarray/backup) created in pool and also child datasets in a dataset (mnt/dataarray/share/backup). - Same behaviour (see picture below).
Copied data from dataset to a child dataset, ls -lkR is also stopping on child dataset. Is it possible that webui shell has a problem with certain filenames / character sequences? cp seems to be working fine. Is there a way to check filenames to comply with zfs / smb / acl? Copied files with ssh from old server, which runs ext3 fs as I remember.

acl_recursive.jpg
pool.jpg

First of all, it seems to be multiple problems.

Took another server for test that has blank installation:
  • created smb share with acl on empty directory, that worked fine.
  • Then started to copy data with smb (not ssh)
  • ls -lkR also fails in webui shell after filling share with some data
  • same command on bootup menu shell works fine!

Same with setfacl on bootup menu shell goes through all the shares.

However resetting acl did not help, "please wait" is shown when trying to change acl.

I guess the problem has been that I did not create dataset and samba shares in right order.

Had to destroy pool and build up again:
  1. create pool from disks
  2. add datasets share and daughter datasets for backup, business and family
  3. create user and group (group for each daughter dataset), add user to groups
  4. configure acl (set user and group, restricted policy, recursively) for each share
  5. enable samba share
  6. copy old data in bootup menu shell
  7. set acl on copied old data files too
home directories did not more for some reason. It showed smb share with user names and homes but both not accessible for user, guess something wrong with permissions.

Don't want to invest more time now, will give TrueNAS Scale a change, once out of beta state. Restrictions with only one dhcp network interface and missing cuda support is for me a reason to switch over to linux in the future.