ACL resetting automatically, New users cant be created, existing cant be edited (TrueNAS-12.0-RC1)

Hi guys, I have been using FreeNas for the last 4 years now and everything was working really well, but then one of my hard drives died and there were some permanent data errors in my pool. I then set up a fresh system with TrueNAS-12.0-RC1 and created pools from scratch and copied over all the data from my old system. Now just after a couple of days, I have started noticing some strange issues with the system, some of them are as follows -

1) I am unable to edit or create new users. When trying to create a new user, I get this error - https://prnt.sc/wgub6c
Text -
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 137, in call_method

result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self,

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1195, in _call

return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 463, in update

rv = await self.middleware._call(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1195, in _call

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 973, in nf

return await f(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/account.py", line 506, in do_update

await self.__set_smbpasswd(user['username'])

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/account.py", line 857, in __set_smbpasswd

await self.middleware.call('smb.update_passdb_user', username)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1238, in call

return await self._call(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/smb_/passdb.py", line 112, in update_passdb_user

raise CallError(f'Failed to set NT password for {username}: {setntpass.stderr.decode()}')

middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to set NT password for umesh: Username not found!

I then setup a fresh system with TrueNAS-12.0-U1 also to check if this problem exist in that version and while creating new users, this problem suddenly started happening in this new system as well. Seems like after a certain number of users or due to a particular user name, this issue is happening as in this new system, no other settings were touched.

2) Some pools keep losing their ACL permission settings ie- If i change the ACL settings to allow a particular group, after some time, that particular pool falls back to the factory permissions setting of ACL as if I never set any custom permissions for it.

Both these issues are very strange as i never encountered anything like this in the past 4 years since I have been using FreeNas. If anyone can guide me how to figure out this issue and resolve it, I will be very greatful.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can you PM me a debug please? System->Advanced->Save Debug

In the bigger picture, the particular traceback happens when for some reason we are unable to actually create the user on the OS. ACL settings changing is odd. If it's something triggered by the webui, then there should be an ACL task in the task manager (and in jobs queue). Once again, I'll need to see a debug.

Last edited:
Sadly, Even after a system reset, I am again getting the same error while creating new users: [EFAULT] Failed to set NT password for aditya: Username not found!

I feel it might be due to the number of users I am making, roughly 40 users. Can anyone please help me resolve this issue? This is on a fresh Install of TrueNAS-12.0-U1

Have tried everything I could think of to resolve this issue. Redownloaded Truenas installation files, reinstalled, restored from backup, recreate from scratch without using backups.. It seems like no matter what I do, after a point, the error keeps coming back. It seems to be a bug which no one else has reported strangely. Creating new users or changing the passwords for existing ones become impossible due to this bug. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate.

So finally other users have also started complaining for this exact issue on other forums. @anodos any comments on this? Was this issue addressed in the latest update U1.1? After running freenas without even a single issue for years, I am very sceptical of updates now. As always, any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's possibly a race between user creation and a backgrounded passdb synchronization task. U2 will pass new user additions through the passdb synchronization queue to avoid the two actions clobbering each other. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue, but it seems likely this is what is happening in case of those affected.