SOLVED Seeking handbrake-cli and handbrake-gtk For FreeNAS 9.3+

Status
Not open for further replies.

nello

Patron
I'm trying to follow this tutorial for adding a h.264 transcoding script to MythTV running in a FreeNAS 9.3+ Jail:

http://tech.surveypoint.com/posts/mytht ... handbrake/

How do I install handbrake-cli and handbrake-gtk on FreeNAS?

Yes, I posted this question on the handbrake forum but the answer wasn't very useful.

I tried:
Code:
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/handbrake/ && make install clean

But I got this compile error related to an undeclared identifier:

http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/multimedia-handbrake-0-9-9-build-error-td5992078.html

Can anyone give me a clue on how to move forward?

Is there some way to be notified when this port compiles?

Even better, can someone show me how to adapt these instructions to FreeNAS?

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CompileOnLinux

Thank you for your time and attention.

- nello

danb35

Hall of Famer
'pkg upgrade' (accepting all the suggestions) followed by 'pkg install handbrake' should do it. You're doing this inside a jail, right?

nello

Patron
'pkg upgrade' (accepting all the suggestions) followed by 'pkg install handbrake' should do it. You're doing this inside a jail, right?

I guess that it installed despite the error:
Code:
root@mythtv:/ # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking for upgrades (42 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (42 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.
root@mythtv:/ # pkg install handbrake
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent version of packages are already installed
root@mythtv:/ #

nello

Patron

Yes, I'm doing it in a Jail for MythTV.

Yes, this seems to install handbrake-cli but it does not seem to install handbrake-gtk.

Am I missing something?

The -gtk provides a gui experimenting with HandBrake. It would be nice to have.

danb35

Hall of Famer
From what I can tell (not too much, honestly), the handbrake package should include both CLI and GUI versions. The separate -cli and -gtk packages appear to be a Linux-ism that doesn't carry over into FreeBSD.

nello

Patron
From what I can tell (not too much, honestly), the handbrake package should include both CLI and GUI versions.

I can run the CLI from the Jail shell by typing HandBrakeCLI at the prompt.

Any clue on how I run GTK? I've tried typing HandbrakeGTK from within the Jail shell and I getting an error saying the command is unknown. What's your guess on how to do this? Remotely in a shell? From a display on the FreeNAS server? X11?

I'm obviously missing something very basic. Sorry.

- nello

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
How do you plan on running a GUI version with an OS that has no GUI or a jail that has no GUI? Am I missing something?

nello

Patron
How do you plan on running a GUI version with an OS that has no GUI or a jail that has no GUI? Am I missing something?

Yes, I see the problem.

So, do you have any suggestions or should I just give up on playing with HandBrake via a GUI and slug it out with the CLI?

Thank you for your input.

- nello

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Honestly I don't know. But it would seem that for a OS to provide a GUI for any application there would have to be some sort of graphical environment to provide one in unless it provides one via a web interface.

brumnas

Dabbler
@nello Any progress on this? Of course should it work - running VNC server in the jail or by xterminal or any remote control GUI. If you didn't succeed, I'll have a look; the machine I have is the most powerful I have at home, so it's a pity when it can't convert ;-).

nello

Patron
@nello Any progress on this? Of course should it work - running VNC server in the jail or by xterminal or any remote control GUI. If you didn't succeed, I'll have a look; the machine I have is the most powerful I have at home, so it's a pity when it can't convert ;-).
Thank you for following up.

Turned out that I didn't really need a GUI to experiment with HandBrakeCLI. I just wrote short scripts and figured out everything that I needed to know.

Now, if only someone would update the port so that I wouldn't get these pesky security warnings:
Code:
Checking for packages with security vulnerabilities:
Database fetched: Sat Jul  9 03:47:47 CDT 2016
apache24-2.4.20_1
handbrake-0.10.5
python27-2.7.11_3
mythtv-0.27.5.20150616_1

Unfortunately, the HandBrake community wasn't much help:

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34726&p=162441#p162441

Thank you again for following up.

- nello

fahadshery

Contributor
@nello will you be able to share your strings/short scripts to convert files to mp4 using handbrake? thanks

nello

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.