Security Output Meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy

Contributor
Hello people. This is one of the shorter outputs - it varies regularly - but I'd love to know what all these things mean in the daily security log output that's emailed to me. If anyone wants to point me to where I can read up on this in more detail too, that would be really helpful and, as always, I am very grateful for the help often given so freely in these fora:
Code:
freenas_11.1.local kernel log messages:
> arp: 192.168.0.10 moved from 02:6b:90:00:06:0a to d0:50:99:64:89:c5 on epair1b
> ugen0.3: <vendor 0x0001 MEC0003> at usbus0 (disconnected)
> uhid0: at uhub1, port 1, addr 3 (disconnected)
> uhid0: detached
> ugen0.3: <vendor 0x0001 MEC0003> at usbus0
> uhid0 on uhub1
> uhid0: <vendor 0x0001 MEC0003, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3> on usbus0

-- End of security output --

Last edited by a moderator:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You can probably safely ignore the first line about ARP... I get those regularly. It's just the network talking to the switch and handing around MAC addresses.

The rest of the lines appear to be a disconnection of a USB Hub and subsequent re-connection.

If you didn't do that, it may be an indication of power problems of some kind or a cable.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
An epair interface would be a VM. The epair MAC addresses are dynamic, I think, so this probably just means "VM was started".

uhid devices are keyboards or mice.

Ziggy

Contributor
Ah, ok, thanks for the reply. I have connected a UPS to the FreeNAS Mini and in fact never found the software for the particular UPS to configure it, so I probably should just disconnect that as it's not functioning - have just unplugged it - and perhaps that's what the messages are about. Other than that, I definitely do not connect other USB devices, so I hope it's the former. I'll see what happens now that I've disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.