Security and Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayS

Dabbler
Hello - Can I set up a Minecraft server on my FreeNAS on a separate network segment so to protect files from hackers?

I've been using a FreeNAS server for over a year now just to back up files on a few devices at home. Ideally, I'd like to set up a Minecraft server so my son can play with his friends. However, the idea of uninvited guests hacking into the network has been discouraging me from doing so. How can I build a jail that's totally isolated from rest of the network?

Appreciate your suggestions.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I hope I can answer this for you and I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

I don't see this a being a Minecraft question as much as a Firewall/LAN Network question. That being said it's really not a FreeNAS question either.

What I believe you need to do is have a proper firewall established to isolate your Minecraft LAN IP address from the rest of your LAN and you may be able to do that via a VLAN setup. This may require you to purchase some hardware such as a VLAN (virtual LAN) enabled router/switch and then depending on how things are connected in your house, other devices which can handle VLAN tagging. For example if your son uses WiFi for the game then you would want a WiFi AP that can handle VLAN tagging. You may have all this and not realize it. My router that I'm using as an AP has VLAN tagging, I just don't use this feature myself.

So the goal here is to put all your main network stuff on the LAN and all your sons stuff on a VLAN, this will keep the traffic digitally separate. So you have some research ahead of you. Also, there are other things like just passing specific ports through your current firewall however it's not as good protection as a VLAN would be. If your ISP could provide you with two WAN IPs then you could have a second one all for your sons games, but that would be another network setup, not terribly difficult. My ISP provides two WAN IPs at no additional cost.

I know I rambled on, sorry for that and hope this guides you to the next part of your adventure.

MurrayS

Dabbler
Thank you Joe. Your rambling is very informative and give me a direction on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.