second iscsi target not visible to VMware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtexun

Dabbler
FreeNAS 9.3
default MTU
VMware 6.0.0 build 3620759
There is no load, no vm's actually running, system end to end is for backup and server loss disaster recovery in case a physical machine dies, we can hot up a p2v copy of the physical machine.

In general iscsi has been working /great/ so far on this FreeNAS system, and I'm in the process of building a third FreeNAS system identical to the first on FreeNAs 10, so if 10 is rthe solution I will find that out later this week.

Basically other than some testing, there is no load on the FreeNAS system, and on the two 10G private storage networks connected to two fresh and clean VMware ESXi 6.0.0 systems.

Bringing up the first iscsi share was a cake walk, everything just worked. The reason I'm bringing up a second one is I ran into an issue that needed a larger block size on the vmware side. Basically the default 1M vmware block side has a file size limit that is slightly smaller than a machine I'm trying to p2v for disaster planning. So rather than wipe out the work I have done to this point, I was hoping to just spin up a second iscsi share that I can build with a VMFS filesystem that has a larger block size. Seems simple enough.

Given this is for disaster purposes, I'm tempted to throw performance away use NFS and just call this a fail... but if I do that the resulting system will not be as useful in a disaster, as it is a build server, and running a build over an NFS mount is less desirable.

The problem I am seeing is that the second target never shows up on vmware. I've even tried turning chap off.

To debug the issue, I tried to connect from my labtop that runs windows 10 (heavyweight workstation class laptop, Dell 4700). And from there I noticed that the first time I connected it failed, and after a couple retries, and ao 10 second or so wait on the third try, it finally connected.

To be fair, the laptop test is from my desk, and it is not as a member of either of the 10g private layer 2 networks that my VMware servers use, instead I'm running over layer 3, over a path known to consistently perform at 95% of the 1g wire speed up and down.

We have a massively overbuilt network, we manufacture an embedded system that under typical conditions performs well below 100m, so the gig ports on the edge, and the 10g ports that make up the main infrastructure is under almost no load at all. In general the network is highly segmented, so isolation is wrapped around every engineer and what he is testing. our target device has a DHCP server, so isolation is inforced so when an engineer does something wrong, he only impacts his own little vlan.

For our production SANs we have a different set-up, but those are well isolated, though they use the same network design I'm using with FreeNAS, with the exception of the MTU. In my production SAN's we run with jumbo frames, but on FreeNAS I have stuck to the recommendations from the forums that are relevant, even if they seem overly paranoid... like obsessing over MTU... Never had a problem with MTU's in the production side, but we sort of know what we are doing... and on that side we are doing critical performance testing to scale a management software product we have to handle millions of devices under management... but I digress.

I am using FreeNAS as a place to store archive data, and idle production-ready backups, in case something dies.

Parallel to building the thrid FreeNAS system, I'm also building a new physical build server, so the FreeNAS/VMware system is a second level backup.

At this point, all I'm trying to do is get the iscsi share mounted on ESXi. It do0esn't even have to work well... I just didn't want to stoop to NFS... but I will if I have to. I just didn't want to set the bar that low, I was hoping the disaster plan was capable of some modest level of performance to hold us over the time it takes to spin new hardware... I don't think NFS will provide that, but it would suffice in a disaster I suppose.

I've got to be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Obviously the iscsi share works at all, but it feels like it must be timing out on something. It came up slow and glitchy enough on windows that I feel like VMware must be timing out on something that only happens during the initiation of the connection.

Ideas?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
@Bigtexun, are you running FreeNAS as a VM on VMware? Or on the bare metal?

Bigtexun

Dabbler
Bare metal... The processor is a modest Xeon E5-2620 hexa-core 2.4ghz on a SuperMicro X10SRL-F motherboard with 64gig of ECC memory.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
FWIW, I was able to create a second iSCSI share on my test system running FreeNAS 9.10-STABLE. This is a VM running on VMware 6.0 build 3620759 (see 'my systems' below for details). I created a separate zvol (of course) and configured a new Initiator, Target, Extent, and Associated Extent for the share. It loaded up right away in vSphere.

Bigtexun

Dabbler
Yeah, I basically created the second one the same way as the first one, and windows was able to prove it is really there. For all I know the glitches were on the windows side, and were unrelated to the vmware issue. Windows reported a couple chap failures before it succeeded, and when it succeeded it seemed to take a while, so I assume there was some sort of timing race condition or some other reason Windows was to blame for that. The big win on the windows test was that I know the target is actually there. On vmware I get nothing to indicate anything is there at all. I need to learn how to debug this, obviously. Never had any problems with iSCSI in the past, everything always "just works", so I've never had to debug anything like this.

The first iscsi target gave me problems on the second system I attached from, but it turns out that was a flaky 10g card... It had two ports, and only the one I wasn't using appeared to work, till the card disappeared completely, once I replaced that everything was fine. This time around I'm seeing the same problem on two different vmware hosts, and both of those are using the first iscsi target, so I know the network path is up.

The differences with the windows machine include running on layer 3, running at 1g, and running through the management IP of the machine, instead of the isolated unroutable vlans I normally use for my iscsi vlans. So wondows is connecting to the standard port 3260, while the vmware systems I'm using port 3261 for the second port. I think the next thing that I try will be to put a secondary IP address on the 10g vlan on both ends of the connection, and see if changing the IP instead of the port fixes something... Perhaps there is a bug somewhere affecting non-default iscsi ports.

One thing I did notice was that I am unable to delete a static discovery entry... it acts like it is letting me delete them, but when I come back later to that window/tab I see the object I deleted came back. VMware is a pretty fresh install, with minimal configuration, no hard drives at all, just the flash boot media, and the iscsi mount.

I just got most of the parts in for my FreeNAS 10 machine, #3 for the office, perhaps starting over on a fresh system will make things mobettah.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
You seem to know your stuff when it comes to iSCSI... carry on!
I just got most of the parts in for my FreeNAS 10 machine, #3 for the office, perhaps starting over on a fresh system will make things mobettah.
Aren't you picking FreeNAS 10 a little green? It hasn't even made it to Beta testing yet... :smile:

Bigtexun

Dabbler
Uhhh... No more updates for 9.3, and an alarm on all of my FreeNAS boxes telling me it is time to upgrade. I would rather start new on 9.10, just as a test drive, rather than upgrading a production system. So yeah, it is a little green, but from the point of view of checking the box "All servers are up to date with current patches", none of the 9.3 systems qualify now.

I have heard mixed reports, with plenty of iscsi problems being reported on 9.3, as well as at least one I have seen for 9.10.

Oh, I get it, I left the 9. off when I mentioned "10"... Got me! Yeah I didn't mean 10, I ment 9.10... Oops... I clearly had a case of versionitus.

Bigtexun

Dabbler
There are a lot of variables. It feels to me like some sort of timing issue, based on what I saw getting to my second iscsi share from windows, but it could also be entirely VMware's fault, or some combination of software and hardware... It could even be something that my Cisco 6509 10g card is doing, or a problem in the Cisco software... I /know/ the share is functional. But with all of my iscsi experience being in the category of "it just worked", I don't have the experience, or the time to dig into what is causing my problem.

I "have" to build another box anyway, so I put enough disk in it to handle this and the other application... Plus having two systems to hold my vmware images gives me an opportunity to improve the depth of my DR plan. My requestor's sidekick didn't want me adding disk to one of the machines already running, he wanted me to build a new box. The box I am replacing was a "proof of concept" box that was built with parts I found in the trash can... We are a manufacturer of DVR's among other things, so we have trash cans full of things like brand-new 1T hard drives... But this new build is production-quality... Nothing from the trash can.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.