Second home directory possible?

polipoli

Cadet
Dear Community!

I am currently setting up truenas which will replace our old nas at our IT. I joined truenas with our domainserver and activeted the home directory.

Is it possible to have 2 or more home directories? We want that every user has a home directory and a second home directory (for example called "backup") where they can put their time machine backups.

Alternativley, is it possible to automatically create folders for every user in their home directory? If yes, we could mount the folder "backup" to antoher storage pool, because we dont want the backup folder (withthe time machine backups in it) to get backuped again, but we do want to backup the home folder.

Thank you for your help!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Dear Community!

I am currently setting up truenas which will replace our old nas at our IT. I joined truenas with our domainserver and activeted the home directory.

Is it possible to have 2 or more home directories? We want that every user has a home directory and a second home directory (for example called "backup") where they can put their time machine backups.

Alternativley, is it possible to automatically create folders for every user in their home directory? If yes, we could mount the folder "backup" to antoher storage pool, because we dont want the backup folder (withthe time machine backups in it) to get backuped again, but we do want to backup the home folder.

Thank you for your help!
There should be an SMB share preset "multi-user time machine". This creates a single SMB share, but when users connect, they each land in their own private dataset for SMB backups (dataset name is based on username of authenticated user). Permissions have to be set up correctly for this in an AD environment, but it should work for what you need it to do.

polipoli

Cadet
Thank you, that helped a lot! Weird though that it's called "multi-user time machine" because we may have usecase for 3+ user-directories without time-machine.. guess we won't use the "home-directory" function then. if you could only untick the "time-machine" settings so non-timemachine userdirectories won't pop up on macOS for time machine.

however, im totally happy with this workaround, thank you!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thank you, that helped a lot! Weird though that it's called "multi-user time machine" because we may have usecase for 3+ user-directories without time-machine.. guess we won't use the "home-directory" function then. if you could only untick the "time-machine" settings so non-timemachine userdirectories won't pop up on macOS for time machine.

however, im totally happy with this workaround, thank you!

There's a separate preset for "private SMB datasets and shares" that should auto-generate datasets for users on first connection to SMB share and lock them into that path.

polipoli

Cadet
Do i have to set something else than "private smb datasets and shares"? Because when i just select the preset i dont have permission to the share.