SCSI Enclosures: Making your own enclosure mapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warlockd

Cadet
I am trying REALLY hard not to reinvent the wheel here but is there such thing as generic monitors for enclosures? Mabye something that maps drives to say /dev/da0?

I picked up, REALLY CHEAP, a Areca Expander with an enclosure. The thing is though is that all the drives show up in order when scanned in FreeBSD and there is no way to determined what drive goes into what port. It shows up as a ses0 and I was able to ioctrl it and find lots of nice information. Temp guadges, fan speeds. It even showed me that the drives were in what slots. I even figured out if I set the element objects to diffrent levels "Alert or critical" I can get the drive slots to blink.

Now, the issue I have now is where is the driver/commands for me to find the slot its plugged into. I am not sure the enclosure contains this data, so I am going to start sending it lots of commands to find out but I was wondering if I was just reinventing the wheel here.

Is there a simple way to find out what port a drive is plugged into, command line or ioctrl()? I am an experienced c++ programmer its just the first time I have done anything this low level before.

Terc

Cadet
try dd if=/dev/dawhatever of=/dev/null bs=4096

that should light up the activity light on each drive (assuming you're using hotswap bays that show activity).

Status
Not open for further replies.