Scheduled SMART tests not always done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Ok, I'm testing that, I'm rebooting right now ;)

"Seems like the SMART tests setup could have a master control that just says "Automatically run SMART tests on any drive that supports it", rather than having to individually select drives into the tests, which can silently end up broken like we've seen." I'd love that :D maybe a feature request?

Yeah, I don't know why, because every time I used camcontrol and smartctl (and I used smartctl a lot this last few days) there wasn't any problem with the serial.

Edit: Woohoo, it worked! thanks :D Now I'll wait to see if the next scheduled test will run on da0 or not, it should but since there is some kind of black magic around this problem we can't be too prudent... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

philiplu

Explorer
"Seems like the SMART tests setup could have a master control that just says "Automatically run SMART tests on any drive that supports it", rather than having to individually select drives into the tests, which can silently end up broken like we've seen." I'd love that :D maybe a feature request?

Great idea - feature #8045 entered.

Glad to hear the ix-smartd edit worked. The past couple days have been very educational - I'm just learning Python and Django, and my last significant Unix experience until I set up FreeNAS was almost 25 years ago. This deep dive into the FreeNAS code has been enlightening.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. you didn't search the bug tickets, did you? I already put a ticket in for that feature....

/sigh

philiplu

Explorer
Heh, guilty as charged. Feature #6436 covers everything I wanted and then some. Sorry about that, and looking forward to FreeNAS 10.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Ok, confirmed that it works :D

Tanks a lot for that ;)

Glorious1

Guru
Even though all the drives seem to be properly listed in /etc/local/smartd.conf now, none of the drives on my LSI 9240 are actually getting tested. I think this was not always the case and that it crept in during one of the updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.