[SCAM ALERT] Storaxa

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarsR

Guru
I think i saw a youtuber doing an unboxing and review of this abomination.
I know it's not recommended to post youtoube links in this forum, but for entertainments sake i could try to look it up.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's complicated in that we generally discourage driving views to YouTube and monetizing YouTubers unless the content is particularly compelling. However, there is also a public service component to informing the community about this scam. In addition, if it's deemed a problem, we can always remove it or add warnings or whatever, so I at least have no particular objection.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In a bizarre twist, this nonsense seems to have inspired some more legitimate OEMs.

Note that even without the 3.5" trays and with significantly more limited specs, the prices are higher.

I was not able to find any units delivered / unboxed, which is not a surprise as it's not due out for a month, though speculations are probably far longer.

This independent video goes into detail about the design, as does this video--the host is the same, the guest different, and they talk about pricing and the collaboration between iXsystems and Supermicro to reduce the cost of the TrueNAS Mini..

artlessknave

Wizard
it's not halloween is it?

Etorix

Wizard
In a bizarre twist, this nonsense seems to have inspired some more legitimate OEMs.
I'm unsure how you think Storaxa may have inspired Asustor, except for overstretching connectivity.
These Asustor devices pretend to host up to 12 M.2 drives and a 10 GbE NIC on a CPU with a grand total of 8 PCIe lanes. Not to mention 4 SATA drives in an external USB enclosure. Let's ask ChatGPT if we could run TrueNAS on this—preferably virtualised of couse! :tongue:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm unsure how you think Storaxa may have inspired Asustor, except for overstretching connectivity.
Monstrous oversubscription of PCIe lanes, low-end embedded CPU, small enclosure, dubious actual usefulness.

SyPhEn

Cadet
I think it's pure optimism to think you'll actually receive one.
I have to remain optimistic, as I prefer to think positively, rather than attempt to anticipate a negative outcome. While I have had my share of scams, I have also have not been scammed on other products that were thought of as scams. While I won't be happy to have lost $264, if it happens I just have to take my lump of coal and continue to work on all the hardware to build the NAS I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.