Scaling of apps

bar1

Contributor
Hi, so currently i have 2 scale servers running.
how do i use Kubernetes to scale apps between the 2?
do i need to replicate ix-applications between the 2 servers and set Desired Replicas to 2?
thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
I have a sort of related question about the scaling, when it is eventually available.

will the scaling be additive? or redundant?

for example, say you have two identical systems each with 4 CPU cores. will a single app be able to utilize all resources from both systems (8 cores)? or will this just be for failover protection allowing one app to seamlessly exist on either system if one goes down?

just want to understand the limitations.

truecharts

Guru
I have a sort of related question about the scaling, when it is eventually available.

will the scaling be additive? or redundant?

for example, say you have two identical systems each with 4 CPU cores. will a single app be able to utilize all resources from both systems (8 cores)? or will this just be for failover protection allowing one app to seamlessly exist on either system if one goes down?

just want to understand the limitations.

There is no App clustering in any way, shape or from in the current release of SCALE.
Nor is there a completed formal design draft internally at iX Systems.

But generally speaking about kubernetes it's neighter.
It's just spreading containers (of which there can be multiple, including copies in an App) over the hosts.

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
Thanks. That’s what I was getting at. If it would be (I’m aware there’s no clustering NOW) the ability for a single app to use all resources of the entire cluster.

Based on your reply, sounds like it won’t be possible.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
sounds like it won’t be possible.
Not currently...

If the "app" is something that can run multiple instances of a container (kubernetes pod scaled to greater than 1 instance across multiple hosts), that will be possible in future releases.

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
Yeah sounds like previous implementations

This is a little off topic, but outside of TrueNAS, is there any OS or management software that DOES allow clustering of multiple hosts where the resources are all available to a single app? Where two 4-core hosts could pool together and some application could have all 8 cores to use for computation tasks.

truecharts

Guru

There never has been application clustering on SCALE, not now and not previously.

This is a little off topic, but outside of TrueNAS, is there any OS or management software that DOES allow clustering of multiple hosts where the resources are all available to a single app? Where two 4-core hosts could pool together and some application could have all 8 cores to use for computation tasks.

As explained by @sretalla it is theoretically possible with kubernetes IF the application/container(s) you deploy support it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What you're talking about might be closer to grid computing... a very specific setup which allows multiple hardware to act on a single set of data with all CPU and memory pooled, but you can't just run any old application on a grid, it needs to have been written for it.

No "legacy" application (one that wasn't written to be cloud or cluster native) will be able to run across any kind of cluster which involves separate nodes. At best, you would be able to have higher availability by failing the application from one node to another, but without the right application structure, it won't cope with more than one host.

bar1

Contributor
so for my home lab, i just need something if a server is down even if it's not proper scaling/clustering.
I assume i can replicate ix-applications between my 2 truenas servers?
is it possible to replicate only SOME apps?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you want kubernetes clustering, you can start with the new bluefin nightly images (and learn the CLI for that as the TrueCOmmand UI isn't yet available for it).

As we already said, clustering isn't yet available on the released version.

You can replicate datasets, but the datasets for applications is a bit complicated, so you'll need to do some research to understand how to make that work for you. (or wait for the release of Bluefin)

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
There never has been application clustering on SCALE, not now and not previously.

I'm aware. I mean previous implementations of kubernetes that I've read about (RPi clusters), not TrueNAS specifically.

sretalla