Saying hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonB

Cadet
Hello!
I'm a newbie to freeNAS and Linux in general. The closest I've come is playing with a raspberry pi. I've arrived hear because a friend of mine gave me an Intel Pentium G3250 and stock i7 heat sink and I thought, "I could build a server with this!" I'd intended to lurk and read, but I can't seem to find many posts about this processor and its suitability for my application. Namely Plex(2, maybe 3, simultaneous streams), a layer of backup for personal/family files, and a spot for time capsule back ups. It seems every time I find something useful another post or the compatible hardware lists contradicts what I thought I'd learned. So I'll continue to search and read, but I will invariable come up with questions to ask. Thanks to the men and women who build and maintain this system, and the forum users for sharing their knowledge.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forums! Your G3250 Pentium should work in a FreeNAS server, under reasonable loads. You won't be able to stream half-a-dozen videos simultaneously, but could probably stream one without problems. It supports up to 32GB of ECC RAM, which is good - ECC is highly recommended if you value your data. The chip hould be usable in any of the Supermicro LGA 1150 motherboards, as well as LGA 1150 boards from other manufacturers.

Read the "Hardware Recommendations Guide" to get started down the right path.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.