Saving virtual machines and applications to an external drive

lifeteo

Dabbler
Hello.
Created a RAIDZ1 pool of three disks. Planning to add a fourth drive later and convert to RAIDZ2. As I understand it, this is not possible. :( You need to recreate the pool immediately in RAIDZ2.

The question arose of how to do this correctly, given the presence of virtual machines and applications that are hosted on the pool of interest?

I correctly understand that in the case of RAIDZ1, if one disk is lost, the end of all data and the hotspare will not help?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
With RAIDZ1 you can lose one disk and still not lose any data. The hot spare (if present) kicks in and replaces the failed one. If during that process called "resilvering" another disk fails, then your data is lost.

With RAIDZ2 you can lose two disks and still have all your data. Specifically you can lose a second one during resilvering after another one failed first.

There are a couple of options for transferring your data depending on how "fast and loose" you want to play it and how many spare disk drives you have.

lifeteo

Dabbler
There are a couple of options for transferring your data depending on how "fast and loose" you want to play it and how many spare disk drives you have.
The transfer must be completed in two days (conditionally start on Friday and finish on Sunday evening, so that everything would work on Monday morning). There is enough space on the network to copy the data.
Can you describe how it would be correct to make a copy of virtual machines and applications, and then restore them correctly?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How many spare disks do you have? How many disks can be in the case you are using at the same time?

indivision

Guru
For the applications, you can configure the server so that they use a specific pool (which can have whatever redundancy or back ups you want). And you can use truetool to configure how many backups of the applications it keeps: https://github.com/truecharts/truetool

lifeteo

Dabbler
How many spare disks do you have? How many disks can be in the case you are using at the same time?
there is 1 disk that I planned to install (4TB) and I can temporarily install 1 more (2TB). The case allows to put 8 disks.

Most of the content that is located on the disks is static files that I can simply copy over the network.
I'm concerned about virtual machines and applications.
With applications, thanks to indivision , it became clear that you can make a backup copy and then deploy it.