SATADOM and FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred974

Contributor
Hi,

Is it ok to install FreeNAS on a satadom?
The server will be Dell PowerEdge R610 and the server will be use a SAN for xenserver..

Thank you

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sure is.

Fred974

Contributor
Do you have any recommendation as to which to buy?
I saw so many at various prices, its not easy to judge

Arwen

MVP
When I looked for one, I waned one that seemed like it would last the 5 years I plan on keeping my current FreeNAS server. (It's on year 4.) Most SATA DOMs seem more expensive than 2.5" SATA SSDs. But, I had space contraints which would prevent a 2.5" SATA SSD from being installed.

Many of them seem cheesy, (Yank slang for poor quality). I ended up with a SuperMicro 32GB for my NAS. And later bought a 64GB one to mirror my desktop's OS. Don't know how long they will last, but I am reasonably happy so far.

Note that the 16GB model, (at the time I looked), was much slower than the 32/64GB models.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Realistically, a 2.5" SATA SSD from a reputable manufacturer is a better option in every way, unless you have serious space constraints. Cost, speed, reliability and ease of acquisition all favor the 2.5" form factor.

The DOMs are cute and tidy on compatible motherboards, though.

Fred974

Contributor
looking at the Dell R610 I don't even know if I can get a satadom in there either :(

Jatrabari

Contributor
I will be using Supermicro's SATADOMs mirrored in my NAS mainly because I want to save SATA and Molex connectors to HDDs. Also DataKeeper has used them without a reported issue for about 2,5 years...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Uhm, a DOM takes up one SATA port. It's not different than an SSD. It is an SSD, just a crappier one without a shell sold at a higher price.

Inxsible

Guru
Uhm, a DOM takes up one SATA port. It's not different than an SSD. It is an SSD, just a crappier one without a shell sold at a higher price.
Yup. The only reason they exist is for SuperMicro to make more money giving you less value.

SATADOMs usually don't have cache or any type of parallel throughput because you usually have only 1 chip on a SATADOM due to the size restrictions.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, there is value in the integrated power, but not an order of magnitude more cash per GB.

Inxsible

Guru
Well, there is value in the integrated power, but not an order of magnitude more cash per GB.
The X9 generation still need external power from the board even though you don't lose a SATA power port. The X10 get onwards is completely integrated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The X9 generation still need external power from the board even though you don't lose a SATA power port. The X10 get onwards is completely integrated.
Not even X10, only later X10s. The LGA1150 boards don't have them yet.

Arwen

MVP
I wish server manufacturers included a place for the OS. SATA DOMs do meet that need.

Some places I have worked, we have had to used 600GB spinning rust for both OS and application, (in different partitions). Some blade servers ONLY have 2 x 2.5" disk slots, so they may have to be for both OS and application, (unless SAN LUNs are used).

Status
Not open for further replies.