SATA-2, AHCI and the hot-plug/hot-swap feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

evoisard

Cadet
Hi,

As of now, I'm still an FN0.7 user...
A while ago I made some posts in FreeNAS (legacy) forum about the lack of decent AHCI hot-plug/hot-swap support (one had to either reboot or enter commands from a FreeBSD shell for replacing a failing disk).

Apparently, this issue has/had its roots in flaws in the 'ata' driver of FreeBSD...

I think this missing feature places FreeNAS one step behind professional NAS systems.

See my old post

Is there a solution to this issue in FreeNAS 0.8?...
Is there a way to manage/monitor hot-plug/hot-swap from the WebGUI?...

Thanks, Eric

ProtoSD

MVP
No, not yet. Actually the version numbers for FreeNAS have take a big jump from .7 to coincide with FreeBSD releases at some point, so you're talking about FreeNAS 8.0. The roadmap for version 8.1 doesn't mention hotswap, but I think it's been discussed, so that's where I would look for it. Beta3 users of version 8.01 are still having problems with it, but I suppose it's still possible it could be fixed before the final release of 8.01.

I insert and remove disks just fine without powering down on the initial release of 8.0.

just because the SATA standard allows for hot-swapping, the controller also has to implement it. little known fact, PCI supports hot-swap, most motherboard do not implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.