SOLVED SAS9211-8i HBA gets removed after some minutes: mpt2sas_cm0 failed

nasenbaer

Cadet
Hi,

just trying to install some new HW and I used a new LSI HBA: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/LSI-2008-8E-LSI9200-8E/dp/B01M9GRAUM
I can see it in the console (using sas2flash -list):
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2008(B2)
PCI Address : 00:06:00:00
SAS Address : 56c92bf-0-0003-90f0
NVDATA Version (Default) : 14.01.00.08
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 14.01.00.08
Firmware Product ID : 0x2213 (IT)
Firmware Version : 20.00.06.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9211-8i
BIOS Version : 07.39.00.00
UEFI BSD Version : 07.27.01.01
FCODE Version : N/A
Board Name : SAS9211-8i
Board Assembly : SAS2008IT
Board Tracer Number : SAS2008IT90F0

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Above output is from a different PC with Windows since this PC won't remove the card after some minutes. E.g. everything except addresses are the same on different PCs :)

I searched the forum and saw that some people had problems with BIOS Version : 07.39.02.00 and their HP systems. Since I also have a HP system:
I already downgraded the bios from 07.39.02.00 to 07.39.00.00

However truenas / the HP PC will still remove the card after some time and I can't access my HDDs.
To test it I removed everything from the PC (e.g. I rmeoved all cables and HDDs for the HBA) and only the bare minimum is still connected: one nvme disk for trueas and the HBA card itself.

Again I can see the card in the console for around 5 minutes then cards gets removed:
Sorry for the picture:

mp2sas_failed2.jpg

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Firmware Version : 20.00.06.00
You certainly want to get that to 20.00.07.00 at some point.

You show that it's being removed form an iommu group on that screen... is it a virtual instance of TrueNAS we're talking about here? Have you reserved the device for PCI passthrough?

nasenbaer

Cadet
Thanks for your answer.

No virtualization. Bare metal install of Truenas (TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3) - hence no pcie passthrough, bifurcation fiddling or anything else. Installed truenas via USB directly to the nvme disk.

I can put the card back into the Win PC and flash to 07 if this helps. I am a bit doubtful tho (I am aware that the bios shouldn't be used by truenas itself. just the firmware is important)

nasenbaer

Cadet
Flashed the firmware to 07: card still got kicked out after 2 - 5 minutes with the same error.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
How hot is it getting? do you have fans pushing air across it?

nasenbaer

Cadet
Well yes that is a point which might be concerning: after flashing the card and removing it from Win it was quite warm up to hot.

There are fans near it but I will put some external fan on it to test. I also think that the fansink is poorly connected and the card may overheat even tho nothing is connected and freshly rebooted...

nasenbaer

Cadet
Thanks for your idea regarding overheating. I just snatched a big fan from my livingroom and blasted the card with it. It ran easily for 30 mins, I rebooted and let it run for another 10 minutes - again no problem.

Then i removed the fan and the card was gone after 2 minutes.

Surely a normal card in idle should not overheat this easily?! Do you think it makes sense to ask for a new one? Since this card is new I can easily ask for a replacement. However if all cards need some serious cooling I am in trouble...
Right now the cpu has a medium sized cooler and there is one 12 cm cooler removing the air from the case. I can try and add a small cooler directly onto the heatsink of the card - yet I think if this is really necessaryt that the card should come with one active fan attached.

Too be honest I am kind of mistrusting this card :(

sretalla