Samba QOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mka

Contributor
Hi,

I'm very pleased with the overall performance of my current FreeNAS system. I 'm able to write with ~105MiB/s to my new system (resulting in approx 20% cpu load with Intel G3220, 16GiB ECC Ram, 6x WD Red 4TB on-board controller).

But what I find rather annoying that while copying with that amount of bandwidth to the FreeNAS system, every other samba operation is put almost on hold. While copying with 100MiB I can barely access file folders, it takes 4 to 5sec just to access the folder... although they are cached and should reside in ARC memory (accessed multiple times bevor the transfer) and the samba process is just using 20% cpu load.

Is this the case or what is the problem here? It look to me the file browsing activities a somehow queued with the rest of the transfer. Is it possible to change this behavior? let samba somehow priorities user browsing activity over transfer throughput?

Knowltey

Patron
Have you checked to see if the slowdown on browsing directories is on other computers besides the one you're transferring on? I've noticed before on my home network if I'm transferring a large load from my desktop the file browsing will be slowed down there, but if I were to say go over to my laptop and check while the transfer is still going everything seems to still come up at the same speed it normally would.

Status
Not open for further replies.