Ryzen Threadripper build

Emilius

Cadet
Hi all, I am new here. My Qnap NAS is on way out. I have some backplane problems and it cost to much to fix something so old. I am thinking to go full in and build my next NAS. I also plan to run VM and host my own web pages, email server etc. I am thinking about non enterprise hardware but still something that will be running strong with easy/cheap way to fix any problems. What I have in mind:

AMD 1st Gen RYZEN Threadripper 1920X
ASRock X399 Taichi sTR4 AMD X399
64/128 GB ECC memory
Fractal Design Define 7 XL case
some 10GB network card
some 2x 8 port SAS cards
some WD Red Pro drives
some GPU for media converting
some PCU

Is there any known issues with AMD 1st Gen RYZEN Threadripper? Will TrueNAS Core be able to give me what I need with this hardware?
I don't like hot swap and backplane because to switch bad cable is much chipper and easier. I will not add/replace drives on daily basis anyway ;)

Yorick

Wizard
> some GPU for media converting

That’s a maybe. While someone has had success with passing a GPU through in bhyve to Linux, the same attempt to Windows failed. I wouldn’t bet on this working.

Emilius

Cadet
> some GPU for media converting

That’s a maybe. While someone has had success with passing a GPU through in bhyve to Linux, the same attempt to Windows failed. I wouldn’t bet on this working.

Oh I see. That is not really very important to me and if I will be adding GPU that will be last on my list. What I need to know right now how is AMD 1st Gen RYZEN Threadripper play with TrueNAS. I need to make sure I have enough space and power to add anything I could need. At first I will need this "basic" components to get it working and then slowly expand. No rush but good start is mast...

marshalleq

Explorer
I've run 1950X on TrueNAS for a while, it works very well. Passthrough works on Linux - didn't try it on BSD, but it isn't a limitation of the hardware if this is a problem.