Running FreeNAS as a docker container on a linux host

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am considering setting up a FreeNAS box as a container on my server that is dedicated to hosting docker images. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to pull this off or is this just a bad idea.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hello everyone, I am considering setting up a freeNAS box as a container on my server that is dedicated to hosting docker images. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to pull this off or is this just a bad idea.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Super cool idea, containerize all the things.
ummm not FreeNAS though that's now how containers work.

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Guru
This is a Bad Idea(tm).

Dice

Wizard
In case it is not completely obvious to you by now:
Don't even think about it.

Stux

MVP
You need to use a VM or Bare Metal to run FreeNAS.

There are specific recommendations for VMs and their setups to run FreeNAS correctly and safely.

Docker is not a VM. FreeNAS won't run in a Linux container, unless you were running a VM in that container ;)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What you need, is a bhyve running Ubuntu, which is virtualizing another FreeBSD, running a bhyve, which is running Linux Mint, which is then running Docker, which is then running Docker inside of *THAT*, then you can use FreeNAS, bro.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What you need, is a bhyve running Ubuntu, which is virtualizing another FreeBSD, running a bhyve, which is running Linux Mint, which is then running Docker, which is then running Docker inside of *THAT*, then you can use FreeNAS, bro.
Just dawned on me that I just described FreeNAS "Corral".

Stux

MVP

On ESXi.

Btw RancherOS is docker in docker ;)

Apollo

Wizard
In case it is not completely obvious to you by now:
Don't even think about it.
Technically speaking, he has to think about it to understand it is a bad idea.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Technically speaking, he has to think about it to understand it is a bad idea.
I disagree with your premise that understanding is relevant. When a bottle of poison has a Mr. Yuk sticker on it, I do not have to be familiar with the pharmacological and biochemical analysis behind the mechanism by which I might be poisoned; I trust the curator of the Mr. Yuk sticker to perform the assessment for me, and would not dream of voir-diring his credentials.

MrYukSticker.jpg

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I disagree with your premise that understanding is relevant. When a bottle of poison has a Mr. Yuk sticker on it, I do not have to be familiar with the pharmacological and biochemical analysis behind the mechanism by which I might be poisoned; I trust the curator of the Mr. Yuk sticker to perform the assessment for me, and would not dream of voir-diring his credentials.

View attachment 18732
I can't help but think of that episode of Star Trek: TNG where Data loses his memory (in a plot-convenient limited way) and happily trades goods clearly labeled as "radioactive", which he identifies as such, poisoning the medieval (early) natives.
It raises the question of how to inform someone with no knowledge of the matter and/or culture about a specific danger.

To that end, I formally ask that iX add a few pictograms to the download page that depict gruesome and gory pain associated with a blue whale violently carved into a makeshift container ship. I nominate our resident graphic artist to execute these images, with the following ideas:
  • FreeNAS as a comically oversized shark that carries said enslaved whale/ship on its back
  • A stick figure that has lost an arm in the presence of the whale. With lots of blood, so that alien visitors familiar with our physiology will get the idea of danger. Maybe they're masochists, but that's their business, as long as I don't have to pay for their healthcare - unless they contribute with money or in kind for human visitors.
  • FreeNAS as a solitary elephant. The elephant signifies its great capabilities. It would also be able to crush a penguin, which is always a good metaphor.
  • A forbidden symbol, cast into the depths of the gorge of eternal peril. Make it a blue hexagon. And add the fires of hell. But not Beastie, he deserves better.

I'm sorry, I seem to have lost track of my train of thought, which is something of an achievement, since it's on tracks...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I disagree with your premise that understanding is relevant.
Understanding is not required, only obedience.

Status
Not open for further replies.