Running 11.0-RELEASE (upgrade from 9.10.2-U5) repeatedly gives message "CPU2: local APIC error 0x40"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarNamer

Cadet
Yesterday evening I upgraded from 9.10.2-U5 to 11.0-RELEASE on an HP 8200 Elite (Intel i7 CPU, 16Gb RAM, 8Gb flash drive & 5 * 3Tb disks). It seemed successful, but all day the system has been producing bursts of the message in the title. This evening, I booted back into 9.10.2-U5 and there are no messages like this, so it's obviously a software change which is causing it.

Is this message serious? At the moment I'm running 9.10.2-U5 and all is quiet, but does that just mean that a problem is not being reported and that 11.0-RELEASE was actually indicating a problem rather than an incorrect initialisation or something?

Neither version seemed to have any problems serving the disks as NFS exports which is all the system is used for.

joeschmuck

Old Man
HP 8200 Elite
First I'd like to express that I don't feel you are running the proper hardware for a FreeNAS system but with that said, you still should not have the error message you are receiving.

I conducted a search for your error message and it appears that some systems will hang and some will not. Since this is questionable behavior I would not recommend using FreeNAS 11 except for troubleshooting until the problem has been addressed.

I would do three things if you want to attempt to get this problem addressed:
0) Did you run the burn-in tests to ensure you have a completely stable system? If you haven't then you need to do this first. I'd run the RAM tests (MemTest86) for at least 2 days and the CPU tests (Prime95 or similar) for 1 hour minimum, 5 hours maximum (just my opinion).
1) Grab a second USB Flash drive and run FreeNAS 11 on it for troubleshooting purposes and ensure the problem occurs again, if it does then use this when you are asked to collect more data and provide it. And run your system primarily off of the current 9.10.2-U5 USB configured drive.
2) Submit a bug report, be very descriptive, ensure you state all your hardware and that all your stability testing passed.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Submit a bug report, be very descriptive, ensure you state all your hardware and that all your stability testing passed.
...and ideally submit the bug report through the web UI itself, which will attach a debug file with quite a lot of the system information.

Status
Not open for further replies.