Run an FTP *CLIENT* on FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerLater

Explorer
Is there a way to install an FTP client on a FreeNAS machine?

I have files on a remote server. I often need to copy files from that remote server to my FreeNAS pc. Presently, I do this by using a local workstation (same LAN as FreeNAS) to download the file via FTP and save it to FreeNAS. This seems inefficient, since the file goes Remote Server -> Workstation -> FreeNAS. If I could use a web interface to make FreeNAS download the file itself, that should be more efficient.

Is there a way to do this?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
there is no FTP client that runs through the webgui. at this time there is no way to edit/change/download/etc any files from the webgui. you can have a look at the plugins and see if you could come up with something, but the easier option would be to login to the console and run ftp commands from there. even better would be if you could set up rsync to run, then you wouldnt have to monitor anything

SoonerLater

Explorer
Thank you, PirateGhost.

In theory, Rsync is should be the perfect solution. However, the hosting company of my Remote Server (London) has reported problems with Rsync working reliably. Sometimes it tries to start a file transfer before the Remote Server has fully downloaded the file itself. Sometimes Rsync never notices that a new file is ready for transfer. This is not a problem with FreeNAS. This is an issue with London.

I will investigate running FTP commands on the console. Thank you for the help.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Have a look into creating cron jobs on FreeNAS to automate the FTP for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.