Run a Local DNS Server for internal lan on TrueNAS 13?

Geoff

Dabbler
Hi,

Have a home TrueNAS box built from an old I5, presently updating to TrueNAS 13 stable.

I'd like to run a DNS server for my internal lan 192.168.11.x that can also reference an external DNS (say 8.8.8.8) and cache for internet lookups as well.

No, my router can't do that. (It's been lobotomized by the ISP and can barely manage minimal DHCP)

Is there a how to on this somewhere? No, not interested in making 20 plus HOSTS files instead, I want a DNS. The NAS is the only system that's always up so it's the logical place to put it.

Any advice gratefully accepted. I'm sure I've seen this somewhere, something about a jail? Whatever that is?

Regards

Geoff
ETWebs

Can you put your ISP modem/firewall in bridge mode? If so, that allows you to place your own firewall behind your ISPs equipment, set up your own firewall to host all the services you want with either a consumer router or install open source enterprise class firewall software https://pfsense.org on your own appliance. That would be the more logical place to host services like DHCP, DNS, IDS/IPS, NTP, VPN, etc.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
A jail is a lightweight "virtual machine" with a separate copy of the operating system and any services you might want to install but running on the same kernel as the NAS host. It's a great way to do exactly what you want to. You can even improve upon the pure DNS a bit and add e.g. AdGuard Home. But you will need to get your hands dirty and use the command line. Are you familiar with Unix/Linux?

Geoff

Dabbler
Can you put your ISP modem/firewall in bridge mode? If so, that allows you to place your own firewall behind your ISPs equipment, set up your own firewall to host all the services you want with either a consumer router or install open source enterprise class firewall software https://pfsense.org on your own appliance. That would be the more logical place to host services like DHCP, DNS, IDS/IPS, NTP, VPN, etc.
I don't have root access to the lobotomized modem. The ISP doesn't allow it.
Very restrictive, even UPNP options are disabled and hidden. So no. Also they won't configure a user supplied modem for the SIP telephony. Period, because they can't lock you out of the SIP settings. You must use their modem, they will not even supply the SIP etc credentials to end users like me. You must use their modem and they configure it and SIP. You can fiddle with a few things, do port forwarding to some degree but not UPNP.... DNS is limited to a static 'home' domain, you can't add hosts et al. They'll allow consumer side for the internet connection, but not telephony. All phone systems here are VOIP now, there is no analog POTS anymore. I tried for three months to get support for Asterix based FreePBX and they simply stopped responding to the support request. We have an IP phone I'm locked out of as well, I can't even load phone numbers in it, they demand you send them a CSV file and they'll do it. Naturally I told them what to do with that idea.
I'm just me at home using an old I5 as a NAS, I don't want to install any more hardware if it can be avoided. Need to keep it simple and cheap. I take it pfsense won't live on the same hardware as TrueNAS? I've never heard of pfsense to be honest. I just want a local DNS for a small lan of about 15-20 PCs, phones, printers and a couple of switches etc, with the ability to cache internet lookups as well. My internet domain is hosted elsewhere online, so don't need that at all.

Geoff

Dabbler
A jail is a lightweight "virtual machine" with a separate copy of the operating system and any services you might want to install but running on the same kernel as the NAS host. It's a great way to do exactly what you want to. You can even improve upon the pure DNS a bit and add e.g. AdGuard Home. But you will need to get your hands dirty and use the command line. Are you familiar with Unix/Linux?
Ok, well, I've managed to create a jail and install the DNSMASQ plugin. Depends what you mean by 'familiar'. I've used it a lot and I use WHM and CPANEL to run some web and mail servers, I can edit text files, but the default editor is so user angry I simply can't stand using it. I'm actually learning to hate Linux on the desktop because even very simple things like mapping a network drive require inserting cryptic commands into an obscure text file buried somewhere in the system.
Seems this is no different.
I've had a quick look at the dnsmasq.conf file, and it's not encouraging.

I was hoping DNSMASQ might have a GUI option, but it seems not.

I administer real domains online through a provider and that's easy enough, creating hosts, DMARC, DKIM SPF etc but the code for this resembles C and I don't code. (Not since TurboPascal anyway - I consider C one step from assembler in crypticness.)

I have a single class c 192.168.11.x network. Did consider HOSTS files, but too many to edit if something changes.

So a local DNS seems to be the go, but it's so fiendishly complicated on a Linux box I'm having second thoughts about even attempting it.

I had a look at BIND (also a plugin) and got part way through the conf file and just deleted the jail.

I don't want it to be publishing a domain on the internet or something because I misconfigured it and it wasn't clear to me what I needed or what I needed to comment out.

I do have a Win10 box that's normally on all the time - it was my 'server' before I built the TrueNAS box, so there's probably some simpler DNS I can run on that which would at least be easier to configure, but running such things on a Win box is against my religion. Would really prefer it on the NAS if I do it at all, but like everything Linux, it's incredibly tedious and the documentation is cryptic at best so it seems I'm going to need more guidance than I thought I would.

I've worked in IT most of forty years, but not linux much, VMS yes, Netware yes (DNS on that was GUI and very simple). But not Windows servers as such or even AD domains - they seemed to be just an easy way to break lots of things at once, we avoided them and life was good.

I suppose I'm not a clueless noob, except with doing DNS servers on linux boxes. Put it this way, I lost interest in Linux as a desktop when I had to find and edit obscure files somewhere with cryptic commands just to get scroll arrows to appear in Libre Writer, which is completely ridiculous. I can do HOST files and even domain records just fine, I manage several customer domain records and that's childishly simple, but the config for this looks like it will be easy to break something.

If I had a half decent router (Huawei s$&t the ISP supplies, then they lobotomise it more) I'd do it there, but I can't... and no I can't put in my own, they won't support our IP phones if I do (and there is no POTS here anymore, it's all VOIP)

As near as I can tell, I can't even access the files in the jail from elsewhere so I can use a real text editor instead of whatever it is that 'edit' on BSD provides. Nothing written in the last 40 years apparently. Why are default text editors on all linux systems absolute crawling horrors? To discourage people from using them?

Ok, enough whining. Just needed to vent I suppose. Any guidance/examples would be much appreciated. And is it possible to install an at least somewhat usable text editor for the jail BSD? I really can't use whatever 'edit' is.

Cheers

Geoff
ETWebs

pfSense might be a better long term solution rather than trying to cobble something together with jails/plugins. Maybe even pick up some marketable knowledge in the process.
1. pfSense can be virtualized very easily, even on TrueNAS CORE/SCALE
2. Or you can buy a used fanless mini PC off evilBay and put it behind your ISPs kit (except for SIP phones). Does mean you will be running double NAT if you can't put the ISPs kit in bridge mode.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I take it pfsense won't live on the same hardware as TrueNAS?
It could, by way of a virtual machine, though I wouldn't ordinarily recommend doing so, and I think it would likely be overkill for your needs (I'd also prefer OPNsense over pfSense, but that would likewise be overkill for your needs).

Broadly speaking, you have three four options:
  • If appropriate software is available via a plugin, install it that way.
    • Strongly discouraged; plugins are deprecated and a "path to sadness" in the words of iX' CTO
  • If appropriate software is available under FreeBSD at all, create a jail, and install it there
    • "Appropriate software" certainly is available under FreeBSD; you can run dnsmasq as a DNS cache, unbound as a full resolver, etc. But I'm not aware of anything that would give a GUI or other web interface in this regard
  • Create a VM with a suitable OS, and install whatever software you like there.
  • Run your DNS on separate hardware, which could be as minimal as a Raspberry Pi or other single-board computer of that ilk
    • I understand you want to avoid additional hardware, but Raspberry Pis used to be cheap, and many of the similar SBCs still are--and it'd be nice to not have DNS for your whole network depend on your NAS being up
The third is what I chose for local DNS on my parents' NAS--create a VM under TrueNAS, install the latest LTS version of Ubuntu on that, and install Pi-Hole there. Pi-Hole is marketed as a network-level ad blocker, which it does pretty well, but it does it by acting as your network's DNS server. By default it uses dnsmasq and caches whatever backend server(s) you tell it to use, but you can also install unbound and use it as a full-fledged recursive resolver.

As an alternative to Pi-Hole, you could also look at Technitium. Also has a nice GUI, seems to offer more comprehensive DNS capabilities, but doesn't seem to be nearly as well-known.
And is it possible to install an at least somewhat usable text editor for the jail BSD?
I'm not certain, but ee may be available in the plugin. It isn't great, but I think it's better than edit.

Or, if you allow the root user to access via SSH, you can use a "real editor" on your desktop machine (e.g., BBEdit on Mac, Notepad++ on Windows) to connect via SFTP and edit the files that way.

sretalla