Rsync from one freenas to another freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

semaj

Dabbler
I am looking to setup backup from one freenas to another on a go forward basis. I setup rsync push and it takes a very long time to sync between freenas devices over a gigabit connection. It is taking maybe 6 times as long to do an RSYNC than FXP FTP between servers.

Is there nay way to speed up RSYNC?
Does the speed of RSYNC seem slower than normal indicating i should troubleshoot further?
How can i tell RSYNC is still running as it is running so slow?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
rsync has NEVER been designed to be fast. It was and is designed to minimize network traffic and that's exactly what it does. rsync is single threaded and you have major limitations on both the "push" and the "pull". This is exactly why when you have large quantities of data we recommend against using rsync. rsync isn't to useful if you have 20TB of data and it takes a week or so for all of the data to be processed. ;)

semaj

Dabbler
For those reading this later the ps ax | grep rsync command will tell you if rsync is still running.

If i transferred the data over via fxp and just used rsync to maintain it later would that work better? The updates wouldn't be nearly as large. Maybe 5 gb a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.