rsync backup not working with root user

Status
Not open for further replies.

donmay

Cadet
Hi
please i do not know if this is the right place to insert this post but i have a problem with rsync to another server over the command line in freenas

When i created my shares in freenas i made sure that the owner and group belonged to the admiistrator and domain admins in my AD environment.

Now i want to backup my data that is stored on the Nas box to my remote server over rsync ..so i logged into the box over ssh as root and treid to backup the data but it tells me that i do not have permissions to copy the data!!
is there a way to be able to make this work out?

leenux_tux

Patron
You got a mixture of technologies going on there. Could you give more details about the target server ? You talk about "administrator and domain admins in my AD environment", this is Windows Active Directory, yes ?

As I understand it there are two methods for setting up RSYNC from *NIX to Windows..
  1. You need to install RSYNC on the Windows box, Something like CYGWIN with RSYNC installed/enabled would do it
  2. If you map (mount) a drive from the Windows box to the FreeNAS box, then RSYNC to that folder, in effect you are RSYNCing locally so you do not have to install RSYNC on the Windows system.
An alternative would be to do all the work from Windows until you get used to how *NIX works.
  1. Set up your share on the FreeNAS box
  2. Map to it from your Windows box
  3. Use ROBOCOPY to pull the files from FreeNAS to Windows.
ROBOCOPY is kinda similar (ish) to RSYNC in that you can get it to only copy files that have changed. Once you have the initial copy done, with the bulk of the files copied, following copies will be quicker as you will only be copying delta's

donmay

Cadet
Thank you very much sir for your reply .. i truely am grateful

My environment ---
i have a windows server 2008 r2 einvironment and i have a server that i installed freenas on so that i can use it with the Active directory environment.
I created datasets of which i then made the owner the administrator in the AD domain and also set the group to domain Admins.. so that the shares are then managed from the windows environment..

The problem i am facing is backing up the data to an external ssh server (linux server)
i created an rsync job on freenas itself over the terminal and put the cronjob under root to execute the rsync task at a particular time of the day..

The problem i am facing is that i keep on getting the errors that the root user does not have permissions on the files in the freenas box and then the rsync job stops...

I thought the local root user on freenas has permissions on all shares or am i missing something

Your assistance will be very much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.