Rsync always missing certain folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

STREBLO

Patron
have tried several different ways using rsync modules and ssh trying to pull my linux desktop from my freenas server and no matter how I do it, certain folders are always missing.

I am trying to pull the whole system but certain folders either don't show up, or are empty. My users folders always show up but it seems to be only certain root folders that do not

I've tried --archive, and not but I'd like to use:

Code:
--archive --delete --xattrs --hard-links --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/media/*","/mnt/*","/lost+found"}

When I don't run it in archive mode I only get these folders:

Code:
drwxr-x--- 6 root wheel 10 Nov 21 00:44 ./
drwxr-x--- 3 john john 6 Nov 21 00:43 ../
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 7 Nov 21 00:44 bin@ -> usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 7 Nov 21 00:44 boot/
drwxr-xr-x 20 root wheel 30 Nov 21 00:44 dev/
drwxr-xr-x 87 root wheel 181 Nov 21 00:44 etc/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Nov 21 00:44 home/
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 7 Nov 21 00:44 lib@ -> usr/lib
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 7 Nov 21 00:44 lib64@ -> usr/lib
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 7 Nov 21 00:44 sbin@ -> usr/bin

In archive mode, all folders are present, but the ones that aren't listed above are empty.

Does anyone know how to make rsync work properly to do this?

Last edited:

STREBLO

Patron
paste the full command minus ips or ports for security please
I did, im using the gui.

Anyway, I found a workaround by just rsyncing folders one by one based on the owner, it's messy but it works

Last edited:

STREBLO

Patron
Perhaps I'm dense, but why would you want to rsync anything outside of /mnt/<pool>?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm talking about pulling data off of a computer in my house and into my FreeNAS box . I'm not talking about our thinking from one place on the machine to another on the same machine.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm talking about pulling data off of a computer in my house and into my FreeNAS box . I'm not talking about our thinking from one place on the machine to another on the same machine.
Okay. I was being dense. I thought you were using rsync to back up your freenas appliance. Carry on.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Are you running this as root? You say your home folder makes it through, but stuff on / doesn't. Sounds like a permissions issue for the service you're running.

Have you thought about going the other way with it instead? Push it from your desktop?

STREBLO

Patron
Are you running this as root? You say your home folder makes it through, but stuff on / doesn't. Sounds like a permissions issue for the service you're running.

Have you thought about going the other way with it instead? Push it from your desktop?
I am running as root, on both sides. What was strange was that it would just miss some folders not all of them, and it was picking up folders owned by root and by me but just some of the folders were missing. What I have done now as I'm backing up my user folder in one rsync, and backing up my system folders in a separate one and for some reason that works. I have tried pushing but I had problems as well , and I like how pulling works and just having to have SSH on on my computer.

STREBLO

Patron

esamett

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.