Rollback does not work or: how stupid am I?

Toydoll

Dabbler
Yet again a simple task has led to several hours of searching on google and this forum. Yet again am I met with several easy fixes that does not work for me.

So I figured that I would just rollback to before I started breaking stuff. But apparently I'm not even capable of doing that.

I have read the manual and I do think I understand most of it, but yeah, apparently not.

This is what I think snapshots and rollbacks are:
"Bookmarks" from certain moments in time for a certain datasets that I could be able to recreate if needed. Example:
-Have functional jail with plex. Freenas automatically takes two snapshots everyday of that jail. They can be seen under "Snapshots" in the freenas gui.
-Changes are done to that jail which breaks plex.
-After unsuccessfully trying to fix it the user could instead simply rollback to a snapshot that was automatically taken a couple of hours before the changes were made.
-Plex should now work again.

Have I seriously misunderstood anything or is that how it's supposed to work?

This is what happens when I do a rollback:
Nothing.

This is how I (try) to do it:
1. I press the small arrow next to the snapshot I want to rollback to.
2. I press the "rollback" button.
3. I am told that all later snapshots will be deleted and I'm asked to confirm that I really want to rollback.
4. I press "confirm" and "rollback"

What happens then is:
1. I'm asked by a box to "please wait", the box disappears after a few seconds.
2. Nothing is, as far as I can tell changed.
-All snapshots of that dataset still exists even though the later ones was said to be removed.
-Changes that was made to the dataset after the snapshot are still there.

So I guess what I'm asking is if I have misunderstood something or if it Freenas that doesn't behave like it should?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Did you shutdown the jail before trying to rollback? This is not really integrated - the "Storage -> Snapshots" part of FreeNAS does not know what you are using that dataset for.
Make sure to rollback *all* datasets belonging to that jail.

Toydoll

Dabbler
Did you shutdown the jail before trying to rollback? This is not really integrated - the "Storage -> Snapshots" part of FreeNAS does not know what you are using that dataset for.
Make sure to rollback *all* datasets belonging to that jail.
Forgot to mention that but yes, I did do that.

However, luck (or something) has finally found me.

An hour or so after trying to do the last snapshot I went to eat dinner. When I came back I found that Freenas was unreachable through the gui and ssh. I let it be for a while in case it was working on something but eventually I decided to restarted the system.

When it booted up it took a few minutes longer than normal but now it seems to work as it should. And better yet, that pesky jail (Plex) works again. I don't know what happened and in all honestly I'm to tired of this to care. All I bothered to check was that the snapshots that should have been deleted, if it was a rollback that fixed the problem, are still there.

My initial problem still exists though; my plex is on the beta train (or whatever it's called) which I don't want. Having the beta version named "plexpass" was not the kindest decision if you ask me :P

Edit: Nevermind, Plex suddenly stopped working again...

Last edited:

styno

Patron
I never had issues rolling an back an iocage to a previous snapshot. This is how I do it from the web gui:
1. jails - select jail - stop
2. storage - snapshots - filter on jailname - sort on snapshot name
3. now I would rollback both the base snapshot for the jail and the /root snapshot for that jail for the specific snapshot time you roll back to
4. jails - select jail - start

adrianwi

Guru
You can snapshot a running jail, but I'd advised stopping a jail before rolling back a snapshot and then restarting.

Glorious1

Guru
I never had issues rolling an back an iocage to a previous snapshot. This is how I do it from the web gui:
1. jails - select jail - stop
2. storage - snapshots - filter on jailname - sort on snapshot name
3. now I would rollback both the base snapshot for the jail and the /root snapshot for that jail for the specific snapshot time you roll back to
4. jails - select jail - start
I know it's been a while, but could someone explain step 3 more clearly, what the two snapshots are referring to? And is this a sequence of two rollbacks, or two simultaneous? I'm also unable to roll back a jail.

EDIT:
OK, I now think what may have been meant is roll back both of these snapshots, made at the same time, sequentially:
Ark/iocage/jails/transmission/root
Ark/iocage/jails/transmission

At least that worked for me.

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
It was my understanding that if you've taken a recursive snapshot of the jail, then you just need to rollback the highest level snapshot (e.g. not the /root one) and restart it. I usually snapshot any databases I might have saved outside of the jail dataset at the same time in case the updates makes database changes and I need to roll back.