Retrieve data from crashed system

Status
Not open for further replies.

slant53

Cadet
I've been running FreeNAS on old hardware that finally died. I had two 1TB physical disks that I was using as separate drives (one was partitioned for the OS). The data drives had the ZFS on them.

First question is: if I am able to find a new box to rebuild with FreeNAS, would I be able to reuse these disks without losing data? If so what do I need to do?

Second question: can I get the data off these drives without FreeNAS? I have access to Win7, Ubuntu and MAC OS X machines but I can only connect to them with a USB enclosure

Durkatlon

Patron
You should be able to hang the disks off of a new FreeNAS system and do an auto-import from the GUI. If you want to retrieve the data using non-FreeNAS, I would recommend using a minimal FreeBSD install. If you don't have a FreeBSD system available, just build a temporary one by hooking up a small drive to an existing system.

I have experimented with the FreeBSD method of ZFS data recovery a little bit and posted about it here.

Durkatlon

Patron
I haven't found one for 8.2 which is the version you would want so you can get ZFS pool version 15. Admittedly I didn't look very hard.

You can boot into "Fixit" mode from the regular installation DVD, but that gets you a very bare bones boot with no network, no kernel modules, no nothing. You have to pretty much be a FreeBSD expert to get from that state to a fully functioning shell. That said, if you just want to back up the ZFS volume from the other machine to a disk which is already hooked up to the donor system, it's not big deal. You can load the kernel modules required. I already showed which modules to load to get ZFS working in the linked post, and there's also one for NTFS and other file systems already present on the distribution media.

slant53

Cadet
You should be able to hang the disks off of a new FreeNAS system and do an auto-import from the GUI. If you want to retrieve the data using non-FreeNAS, I would recommend using a minimal FreeBSD install. If you don't have a FreeBSD system available, just build a temporary one by hooking up a small drive to an existing system.

I have experimented with the FreeBSD method of ZFS data recovery a little bit and posted about it here.

I was able to find another system and installed FreeNAS 8 on a separate drive (besides my two from my old system). However when I try to Auto Import the 'Disk' drop down menu on the Auto Import is empty and I can't do anything without making a selection. When I try to do a manual Import, a message pops up that says "Sorry, an error occurred". I found a similar problem in http://support.freenas.org/ticket/192 but I already had the same diskinfo as the solution suggested.

If I get on the system with SSH I can see the drives. I can mount them manually and the data looks OK.

Not sure what I should do next.

wingnut44718

Cadet
Unable to see Hard Drives after New Install of 8.0.1

I had a pc setup as a FreeNAS server for my music and pictures, 2-40gig HDD, this has run for about 3 years solid. The other day the OS HDD crashed, so I installed a 20GB HDD just for the OS, installed 8.0.1. Now i cannot find the info on these drives, i have to remount them. I was wondering if i can recover the info on these drives from the older version, or will i loose everything to get these to mount to new version?:confused:

Sorry to continue on same thread, but this closest to my problem... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.