restrict directive in ntp.conf seems broken

VulcanRidr

Explorer
I noticed on one of my work TrueNAS boxes (running 13.0u6.1), the following messages in my syslog:

Code:
2024-03-08T08:48:16.689119-05:00 nitai ntpd 3757 - - restrict: ignoring line 10, address/host '0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org' unusable.
2024-03-08T08:48:16.689446-05:00 nitai ntpd 3757 - - restrict: ignoring line 11, address/host '1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org' unusable.
2024-03-08T08:48:16.689762-05:00 nitai ntpd 3757 - - restrict: ignoring line 12, address/host '2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org' unusable.

So in the System -> NTP Servers, and there is no place to manage the "restrict" directive. I commented them out in my /etc/ntp.conf. Thus the following questions come to mind:

• I have been around FreeNAS/TrueNAS long enough to remember the adage that you "never do anything on the command line that is behind the webUI's back".
  • Is there going to be an issue down the road with commenting it out in the config file? Is there a place to set it in the UI?
  • What are the pros/cons to disabling the restrict directive? I have a TrueNAS install in my homelab, and am not seeing the "host unusable" messages there. Home NAS has a 1GB ethernet connection and network is on cable modem. Work NAS boxes are on a 10GB LAGG interface. Not sure if that matters.
Thanks,
--vr

Arwen

MVP
Hmm, can you give the exact line you tried?

Not sure you have the syntax right...

VulcanRidr

Explorer
Hmm, can you give the exact line you tried?

Not sure you have the syntax right...

It is the default one that ships with TrueNAS:

Code:
server 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 10 minpoll 6
server 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 10 minpoll 6
server 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 10 minpoll 6
restrict default ignore
restrict -6 default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict -6 ::1
restrict 127.127.1.0
restrict 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org nomodify notrap nopeer noquery

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I have the same lines in my ntp.conf, but I don't see those messages. Have you checked your BIOS clock? Sometimes, the CMOS battery goes flat and needs to be replaced, but during the low voltage state, the clock slows down enough where it can make the system clock invalid.

VulcanRidr

Explorer
I have the same lines in my ntp.conf, but I don't see those messages. Have you checked your BIOS clock? Sometimes, the CMOS battery goes flat and needs to be replaced, but during the low voltage state, the clock slows down enough where it can make the system clock invalid.
Thanks Samuel,

Definitely something to check next week...