SOLVED Restoring boot settings on FreeNAS Mini

Michael Wenyon

Dabbler
My FreeNAS Mini now requires manual intervention to boot every time I start or reboot it. The boot drive selection is not saved.

Once I have my system up, is there a way to make the boot settings 'stick'? I recall using something like 'grub update' on a Linux system; what should I do for FreeNAS?

I manage start up now with the ASRock Rack settings panel (F11 at 'splash' screen), through the Java Console.

This started for me on FreeNAS 11.2-U3, but the update to -U4 seems to throw up an extra 'boot screen' for an Aptio Setup Utility.

D

Deleted member 70528

Hello Michael,

It sounds like the boot priority setting just needs to be adjusted. If you have a VGA capable monitor and Keyboard connected to the Mini, you should be able to adjust these setting under the "Boot" BIOS menu.

To get there, shutdown your Mini, then during boot up (Right after you've hit the power button), start pressing the "Delete" key on your keyboard until you see the blue BIOS menu. You can then use the arrow keys to select the "Boot" menu. Ensure the 16GB boot device is selected as the first option. We also recommend have all other devices disabled. Once done, go ahead and hit F10 to save and Exit.

If this doesn't resolve the boot issue, please submit a support ticket at support.ixsystems.com or email support@ixsystems.com. Your A1-##### system serial number (located on the back of the unit), as well as a photo of the "Boot" menu will help us troubleshoot further.

Michael Wenyon

Dabbler
IXSystems support helped me navigate the Aptio Setup Utility of the FreeNAS Mini to fix this:
  1. Go into the Aptio Setup Utility, then the Boot menu, then Hard Drive BBS Priorities. Make sure everything other than the 16GB SATA Flash Drive is disabled in that menu.
  2. Then go back to the Boot menu [in the Aptio utility] and change Boot Option #1 to the 16GB Flash Drive as well.

Until you do Step 2, the ordinary Boot menu selector doesn't have space to show the boot drive above the data drives, so it cannot be selected.

Last edited: