Restore RAID 1 After Re-install Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbyls

Cadet
I had a box running Freenas (9.1) with two hard disk implementing Software RAID 1 (mirror). The Fressnas itself was running from a USB stick. Recently I made a mistake that I override the USB stick as I thought it was for general storage purpose. Now after I re-installed Freenas back to the stick again. It can run but I need to "restore" my original disks with mirror setup.

The data on the disks are very important and I can't format them. What am I supposed to do?

robbyls

Cadet
Nope. I can't see such option. I can import my disks but the file format is defaulted to "ZFS storage pool device". I was not using that format - it was "Software RAID"

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Freenas (9.1) with two hard disk implementing Software RAID 1 (mirror).
you are running freenas 9.1 with software raid but you didn't have ZFS? That doesn't make sense. If you where using freenas with zfs before then all you need to do is import pool. If you had something else that was crazy and not supported then you might be out of luck and your data will be gone. Please read a little more about what freenas and zfs are and come back with a better phrased question.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds like fakeRAID/chipset RAID/whatever you want to call it.

It would be nice if people actually read about the software they'll be using before using it.

robbyls

Cadet
I think I completely bypass ZFS but i recall exactly what I did. Maybe it was

1) set the format of the disk to "Software RAID"
2) format the disks to be "Software RAID"
3) Go to "Disk" menu, under it there is an option to create RAID1.

I need to think harder to find it out what I did though. I though in general mirror is safer as one disk goes down and I still can get the data back. It seems the opposite, adding disk would cause chance of failure.

Is there any way to read individual disk from other OS? I don't think the two disks all have issues.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I think I completely bypass ZFS but i recall exactly what I did. Maybe it was

1) set the format of the disk to "Software RAID"
2) format the disks to be "Software RAID"
3) Go to "Disk" menu, under it there is an option to create RAID1.

I need to think harder to find it out what I did though. I though in general mirror is safer as one disk goes down and I still can get the data back. It seems the opposite, adding disk would cause chance of failure.

Is there any way to read individual disk from other OS? I don't think the two disks all have issues.

from what you have just described it sounds to me like NAS4Free and not FREENAS....

robbyls

Cadet
from what you have just described it sounds to me like NAS4Free and not FREENAS....

You are absolutely right! I was confused between NAS4Free and FreeNAS earlier. Eventually I figured I was using FreeNAS so today I just successfully imported the disks and raid. Thanks a lot to you guys. I should definitely come here more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.