Resizing quotas

Status
Not open for further replies.

anRossi

Dabbler
I created a storage pool with one big volume, and within that volume I created a couple other volumes for storage of backups for some computers.
e.g.
/mnt/bigstorage
/mnt/bigstorage/computer1
/mnt/bigstorage/computer2
/mnt/bigstorage/computer3

I wanted to make sure one of the backup volumes never exceeds a certain size so it doesn't crowd out other data, so I gave it a quota of 300GB. (it's computer2)

I realize now that it's unlikely it will ever reach near that, and I changed the quota down to 200GB. However, that extra 100GB didn't go to the parent storage pool. It seems it just went poof. So I put the quota back to 300GB and decided to ask here for more info.

After creating a quota, can you change it? Can you only make it larger, not smaller? I assume, like most things in zfs, I have to destroy the volume and re-create it without the quota to turn it off.

D

dlavigne

After creating a quota, can you change it?

Yes. You should be able to verify the new size by running zfs get quota mnt/volumename/datasetname.

anRossi

Dabbler
# zfs get quota /mnt/bigstorage/computer2
NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE
bigstorage/computer2 quota none local

But I don't see the quota values?

anRossi

Dabbler
Yes! Thanks for checking back.

I was misreading the webUI reports on free space when I changed the quotas so I thought the space wasn't being returned to the other dataset when it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.